Specialist, Video Distribution & Curation, Digital
New York, NY
This position is represented by the NewsGuild-CWA
NBC News Digital is looking for a weekend editor to join its platforms team in New York City. The editor will curate NBC News and MSNBC's digital platforms, write breaking news alerts for app and email, and distribute content to partners such as Apple News, Yahoo, Flipboard, and Smartnews.
The editor will be a talented headline writer, have a passion for analytics and SEO, and have strong news judgment. They need to be a breaking news junkie, and love getting enterprise journalism in front of as many eyes as possible. The ideal candidate will have a strong interest in mobile trends, and have experience programming digital platforms for a major news organization. They will know what drives audiences to click on stories and watch video on mobile and desktop.
This position requires the ability to make decisions under pressure and to change footing quickly and multitask when news breaks. The editor needs to show immaculate attention to detail, as well as a sense for the mix - balance, diversity, and tone - of stories on our platforms. The candidate must also have the skill set of a frontline news editor: breadth of knowledge about national and international stories, an ability to copy edit, and experience with digital publishing in a content management system.
The schedule will be Thursday-Monday, which starts as early as 6 a.m. ET. The candidate will preferably be based in NYC, but candidates from around the country will be considered. A bachelor's degree and a minimum of three years' experience working for a news organization is required. The position is a full-time contract and is represented by the NewsGuild-CWA and will report to the senior editor of NBC News Digital's platforms team.
• Curate the NBC News app, NBCNews.com and MSNBC.com with a lively mix of breaking news, politics, enterprise reporting and video
• Work independently using flawless news judgment to update multiple platforms while juggling many of the tasks below
• Write and edit mobile alerts for app and email
• Write sharp, compelling headlines for A/B testing
• Distribute and pitch stories to Apple New, Smartnews, Flipboard, etc.
• Monitor analytics to inform story curation and strategy
• Partner with editors from sections around the newsroom to ensure their stories are promoted and distributed in all the right places
• Work with photo editors to art app and homepage
• 3+ years' experience working as a homepage editor or social media editor, preferably with experience at a major news organization
• A flare for writing eye-catching headlines and knowledge of SEO best practices
• Proven experience displaying news judgment and finding the element of a story that will drive readers to click
• A broad knowledge of current affairs, including politics, race, social justice, international affairs, pop culture and sports
• Must be comfortable collaborating in a creative but demanding environment under tight deadlines