This position is represented by the NewsGuild-CWA
We're seeking a reporter to cover breaking health news at NBC News Digital in New York.
In this position, you'll work with NBC News Digital's breaking news team as well as the network's Medical Unit to cover the day's biggest health news. You'll be able to write and report quickly and have a background in covering health and science news. You'll be versatile, able to pivot between stories when news warrants it, and comfortable filing multiple stories a day.
The right candidate will have experience covering breaking health news ranging from Covid-19 or major studies and research on autism, cancer, Alzheimer's. The right candidate will also see health stories through the lens of the consumer, whether on food safety, diet trends, nutritional guidance or product recalls.
You should also know how to assess scientific studies to determine what merits coverage.
You will make sure to contextualize the news by adding the right background information to stories, being mindful of the bigger picture.
• Writing clean, fast and accurate copy, headlines, and photo and video captions
• Pre-writing for announcements, papers being released under embargo, etc.
• Developing sources and being in a position to deliver scoops
• Making full use of the range of NBC News resources, including network newsgathering and multimedia
• Three or more years experience working in a newsroom and writing daily stories, preferably for a digital publication, including at least one year of experience covering health
• Expertise writing headlines
• Must have the desire to work in a creative, demanding, competitive environment
• Must be a skilled writer with outstanding communication skills
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gpxqb0-54-158-251-104-42 in your application.