Please see essay questions below. If you do not upload complete answers to the essay questions, your application will not be considered.
The News Associates Program is a one year long fast-track opportunity for those interested in a career in news production. It is not designed to train people who wish to be on-air reporters. Participants work on programs or platforms on a rotational basis consisting of several long-term placements such as at a nightly news program, a morning news program, a cable news program, a digital platform, at an assignment desk, or on a longform program. Each News Associate is assigned a mentor who is an experienced staff member.
A Commitment to Diversity:
Our highly competitive program identifies outstanding aspiring journalists who bring diverse backgrounds to news production and news coverage. In keeping with our strong commitment to develop a diverse editorial staff within NBC News and MSNBC, the News Associates Program encourages applications from candidates of historically underrepresented groups, including those with diverse racial, ethnic, economic, and geographic backgrounds, as well as persons with disabilities.
A Successful Track Record:
Over 80 percent of the aspiring journalists who've completed the Program have gone on to various full time producing positions with NBC News and MSNBC. News Associates hone research skills, work on developing news stories in a working news bureau, and participate in field and studio production on a variety of news programs at NBC News and MSNBC.
• Bachelor's degree. Masters degree desired.
• Journalism experience.
• Commitment to a career in television news production.
• Excellent writing skills.
• Demonstrated ability to work successfully in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment and proven leadership skills.
• Must be willing to submit to a background investigation.
• Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States through September 2028.
• Must be willing to work overtime, nights, holidays, and weekends, often with short notice.
• Must be willing to sign a one-year employment contract committing to remain with the company for the full year in New York, NY.
• Must be 18 years or older.
All applicants must answer the following essay questions by uploading a Word doc (or pdf) of your responses when applying.
• In terms of diverse life experiences, what separates you from the rest of the candidates for the program?
• Write about an experience, place or person that triggered your interest in journalism.
• If you had no obligations or financial constraints for the next six months, what would you do?
• Media outlets have long been described as having a responsibility to the public. What does this responsibility mean to you and can this responsibility be abused?
• Identify a societal issue that seldom attracts the attention of the news media. How would you cover this issue as a journalist?
• How has your local community's history shaped its modern day demographics?
• Compare and contrast the differences between digital and broadcast storytelling. Using a recent example of a news story, describe the benefits and drawbacks of each format?
• Which professional publications (e.g., trade magazines), if any, do you subscribe to?
This position is eligible for company sponsored benefits, including medical, dental, and vision insurance, 401(k), paid leave, tuition reimbursement, and a variety of other discounts and perks. Learn more about the benefits offered by NBCUniversal by visiting the Benefits page of the Careers website. Salary range: $20-25/hour
NBCUniversal's policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access nbcunicareers.com as a result of your disability. You can request reasonable accommodations in the US by calling 1-818-777-4107 and in the UK by calling +44 2036185726.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gmoeex-44-213-63-130-42 in your application.