Systems Administrator, Mid
Moving Picture Company
Remote / Virtual
The Moving Picture Company (MPC) has been a global leader in visual effects (VFX) for over 25 years, with established facilities across the globe.
We are renowned for adding visual wonder and creative expertise to the film, advertising and entertainment industries, with some of our most famous projects including the blockbuster movies Blade Runner 2049, The Jungle Book, The Lion King and 1917, and advertising campaigns for Channel 4, Sony and IKEA.
MPC is part of Technicolor's premiere portfolio of Production Services, working alongside Mr. X and Mikros, providing tailor-cut, high end services for the world's best storytellers, and operating at the highest level of quality across massive scales of turnaround for tens of thousands of shots every year.
With a full slate of incredibly high profile pictures for 2021 and 2022, and renewed efforts to harmonize the technology stack across Business Units, MPC is at the centre of an exciting modernization and retooling of its pipeline, continuing to push boundaries on scale, performance, and artist experience.
The Systems team is responsible for designing, installing, maintaining and troubleshooting the technology infrastructure. This includes, but is not limited to, storage, networking, workstations and rendering. It also includes the various software elements around both the core operating system(s) and the various application layer components that are deployed upon that framework.
The Senior Systems Administrator does not wait for activity. They seek opportunities for improvement and continually challenge the status quo looking for methods to improve the services we deliver to our clients. The ideal candidate will have the ability to respond promptly and directly to problems in high pressure client attended sessions and resolve issues in a calm and efficient manner. They will also work closely with our larger worldwide Systems team to continue to define and implement best practices.
The Senior Systems Administrator is encouraged to propose and lead projects that will advance the technology framework. This includes elements of project management, communication across other departments and delegation of tasks and coordination of schedules.
• Contingency planning, setting/meeting milestones, coordinating communications and ensuring that documentation and support needs are accommodated
• Actively mentor and assist in the technical development of mid and junior staff
• Be an example of technical excellence
• Install, support and maintain servers and storage file systems
• Ensure systems run reliably, plan for and implement upcoming requirements, and respond to service outages
or other systems related problems
• System performance optimisation
• Scripting and light programming
• A high functioning knowledge of one or more of the following: Linux, storage and networking
• A working knowledge of a scripting languages (Shell, Python or Perl)
• A pragmatic approach to project delivery, training and documentation
• A thorough grounding in storage and networking concepts and techniques
• Experience of virtualization systems, performance benchmarking and database administration
• Strong self-guided problem solving skills
• Autonomous, resourceful, positive and calm in a production oriented environment
• A commitment to teamwork, excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Previous extensive experience in a Linux systems administrator role
• Degree in Computer Science, Computer Systems Engineering or related field
• Experience with collaborating on projects, including the use of source control and reviewing patches
• Experience with distributed systems and TCP/IP networking
• Familiarity with software packages like Maya, Nuke and Houdini helpful
• Experience working in a multi-site or global setup
• Sense of humour helpful but not mandatory