Moving Picture Company
Academy @ The Focus is the learning and development team that develops up and coming artists ready to step into an exciting career in VFX, as well as support current artists to master their skill set the world's leading VFX Studios including Mikros, Mr.X, MPC Film and MPC Episodic. This role will support the delivery of the global L&D Strategy to efficiently and effectively deliver show ready early career talent to our studios.
The key to this role is to be an expert learner and to be able to take complex information and make it simple and easy to understand, using a variety of educational techniques. Candidates should have a love of teaching and learning and great enthusiasm for visual effects.
It's important to ensure that our new starters feels comfortable with their learning, and at the same time receive a true vision of how productions work on the floor.
The following tasks provide a general overview of the types of activity the role holder will be expected to engage in on a day-to-day basis. The tasks are not intended to be an exhaustive list of responsibilities as the nature of our business requires all employees to be flexible, self-motivated and to think creatively when presented with challenges.
• Present lectures on technical and creative topics in an open, upbeat, engaging manner.
• Guide and coach artists from the program in creating the best quality work.
• Challenge and encourage artists from the program to do better, in a positive way without discouraging them.
• Be on top of the pipeline and its updates, so people trained can all the time refer to you during their program.
• Communicate effectively and proactively with The Head of Layout, the Department Manager and any other ressource from the department.
• Make sure to keep up to date the documentation you'll create for the program.
• Run training dailies and provide feedback and reviews.
• Assess whether the artists from the program are meeting their targets, work with them to improve, and provide feedback about their success to the head of department (HOD).
• Provide daily reviews to the artists from the program to share their improvements and what needs to be improved.
We may extend teaching contracts between courses to continue to improve the curriculum. Responsibilities include:
• Create and edit video tutorials with an emphasis on brevity, clarity and zero errors. Those videos will remains as core elements for the department and for all the upcoming new starters in the department.
• Work in relationship with partners from other departments to coach and support them in the creation of educational materials – such as tutorials, documentation, and project files.
• Ongoing development of our curriculum to effectively meet the needs of artists from the program and production.
• Experienced Senior Layout artist / Lead Layout with at least four years of production experience in Visual Effects.
• A good experience in Animation is a plus, as well as a good understanding of photography/Cinematography.
• Be an excellent communicator, both written and verbal.
• Be able to work independently within an organization to get information proactively.
• Previous experience as a trainer is highly desirable, but applicants with a genuine interest in moving into training will be considered.