The Coordinator – Performance Science/Athlete Availability, will be responsible for assessing athlete workload, recovery, and daily readiness to maximize playing time and playing performance across all levels of the MBBC. The role will partner with Player Health and Strength & Conditioning, Nutrition and Psychological Services to develop a holistic understanding of athlete availability. This individual will be a leader in their field of human physiology/exercise physiology, providing guidance to the organization on best practices for measuring internal and external workload and devising best practice recovery methodologies. The position will promote continuous literature review, actionable data analysis, and apply evidence-based information to advance the scientific development of the Club. Residence in Phoenix, AZ metro area is required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Other duties may be assigned.
• Lead data collection processes with elite and developmental athletes for measuring, assessing and informing MBBC Performance Science athlete availability programs.
• Provide and maintain current scientific knowledge as it pertains to exercise science, exercise physiology, recovery science, internal and external workload measurement and analysis.
• Partner with Directors and staff (Performance Science, Player Health, Strength and Conditioning) to create cross-departmental programs and solutions for MBBC Baseball Operations.
• Partner with Baseball Systems and Research and Development to systematize, automate and analyze incoming data streams. Coordinate the generation of reports that inform the MBBC Player Performance, Health, and Development Initiatives staff of patterns, trends, outcomes with respect to player goal initiatives.
• Communicate and present scientific data within a comprehensive data visualization platform for all stakeholders to have access.
• Stay up to date with and vet the efficacy of new technological companies and advances.
Carries out supervisory responsibilities of 2 full time employees in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Qualifications To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
• Proven expertise as it pertains to human performance.
• Strong foundation in sports science specializing in exercise physiology, biochemistry, kinesiology or similar credentials preferred.
• Experience in development and implementation of scientific support and research
• Working relationships with professional/elite level athletes and coaches.
• Ability to forge strong relationships with staff from a variety of professional disciplines, from a variety of backgrounds, and with different demands.
• Track record in leadership of people; ability to develop and motivate a team, while maintaining a positive, diverse, creative, and high-performance culture. Readily accepts feedback from others and provides vision and inspiration to peers and subordinates. Displays enthusiasm, passion and optimism.
• General knowledge about baseball is preferred.
Education and/or Experience
MS/MA in Exercise Science (Physiology) or closely related field with over 3 years' experience testing and evaluating athletes and interpreting data results in elite sport. PhD in Exercise Science (Physiology) is preferred; ABD considered
To perform the job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Microsoft office software including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Outlook, and Internet Explorer.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization. Ability to write speeches and articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and format. Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors. Spanish speaking preferred.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly exposed to outside weather conditions, which may include heat, cold and various forms of precipitation. The employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
During Spring Training this position requires 60-70 hours per week; Off season the position requires 30-40 hours per week.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gq988z-44-200-74-241-42 in your application.