Position at Industrial Light & Magic
VIRTUAL ART DEPT TECHNICAL ARTIST - London
We are looking for a nimble and technically proficient artist who reflects the innovative spirit and passion for great filmmaking that define ILM.
The Virtual Art Department (VAD) bridges the gap between Production Design and VFX. VAD Technical Artists build and deliver key technologies and workflows that enable artists and designers to quickly implement visual content. You will deliver assets, processes, and workflows that empower storytellers. The ideal candidate will have a strong eye for art quality as well as knowledge of real-time requirements and constraints.
What you'll do
• Prepare scenes and content ahead of client reviews and virtual scouting sessions.
• Facilitate and observe daily reviews and working sessions to identify bottlenecks or issues.
• Debug technical issues promptly and efficiently, escalating to core engineering teams when needed.
• Set strategic direction for the content pipeline and tools, and provide a product-owner level of expertise as a key pipeline customer.
• Standardize and improve content creation, review processes and best practices for production of real-time assets, materials, shaders and LODs.
• Contribute to look-development of the highest-calibre real-time art by creating material networks, lighting, and particle effects, and partner with other artists on asset look development.
• Profile real-time scenes to provide leadership with content strategies on how to best accomplish their vision.
What we're looking for
• Previous experience working in a real-time/virtual production environment, preferably at a VFX or animation studio, OR experience working in previsualization, virtual art department, virtual production or motion capture production environment
• Production experience using real-time game engines such as Unreal Engine, Unity or others, and can exhibit your knowledge of game engine and editor best practices
• Strong understanding of visual scripting systems like the Unreal Engine's Blueprint system
• Working experience with the Perforce version control system
• Demonstrated knowledge in some or all of these software packages: Maya, 3DS Max, Houdini, Substance Painter, Blender, etc
• Working knowledge of computer graphics interchange files formats like FBX, USD, MaterialX and Alembic
• Exceptional communicator, able to implement feedback from key creatives and production supervision and communicate back to core engineering teams
• Relevant professional VFX or Games experience and higher education qualification in Computer Science, Programming, or Fine Arts; OR At least relevant professional experience in lieu of education.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d5z36e-3-235-120-150-42 in your application.