ILMxLAB Technical Artist (Look Dev)
San Francisco, CA
Position at ILMxLAB
We are looking for a tech artist who is passionate about bringing the latest technical trends in real-time development to their craft, and who reflects the innovative spirit and immersive storytelling that defines ILMxLAB.
The Look Dev Technical Artist is a unique talent whose creative and technical expertise ideally includes high-end CG production in addition to game engines. Someone who is equally comfortable working with other artists as they are with engineers. We are looking for that special someone who strives to maximize the visual and technical quality of look and shader development.
What you'll do
• Create shaders and textures, including natural environmental shaders, VFX shaders, character shaders
• Collaborate with Leads and the Art Director to ensure a consistent style and quality across all shaders
• Partner with character and environment artists on asset look development, creating UV's, textures, and materials
• Define work and provide time estimates for look and shader development
• Develop and improve existing technologies to maximize the quality bar of shaders, both visually and technically
• Standardize development processes for production of assets, materials, shaders combining industry-standard content creation tools and Unreal Engine
• Facilitate communication and collaboration with the Art & Engineering teams, and ensure that goals and best practices for both are represented
• Take direction from supervisors as well as demonstrate autonomy and time management
• Follow emerging trends in game engines and real-time technologies and evaluate their impact on our pipeline and workflows
What we're looking for
• 3+ years of experience as a Shader, Look Dev or Technical Artist in film and/or AAA game development
• Strength working with AAA games engines like Unreal Engine or equivalent
• Experience with programming in HLSL, C++ as well as familiarity with linear algebra
• Strength using Substance Designer/Painter
• Strength using standard art packages like Maya and Photoshop for modeling, texturing, lighting, and shading
• Detailed understanding of shader techniques and optimization applied to real-time graphics
• Excellent communication and organization skills
• Experience implementing 3D work directly into the engine
• Ability to work efficiently under tight deadlines. Works well with direction, but also is self-motivated and will seek out or devise solutions to unexpected challenges
• Experience or interest in VR and AR
• Portfolio of realistic, high-quality real-time shader work
We are taking a responsible approach to creating environments that allow us to do what we do best - entertain and inform millions around the world. As part of our commitment to health and safety, COVID-19 vaccines are required for current US salaried and non-union hourly employees, as well as all newly hired employees.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gkbwop-54-224-117-125-42 in your application.