Position at Industrial Light & Magic
The Studio Production Manager is responsible for monitoring, tracking and understanding Vancouver's tactical and strategic capacity in order to contribute towards work distribution in partnership with Production, Vancouver Talent Management, Global Capacity Manager and Executive in Charge, Vancouver Studio.
They drive artist utilization and resolve crewing conflicts across the portfolio of shows, working closely with the Talent Management team. They are responsible for new show start up and handoff, bridging early production demands where needed. They manage the Production Management discipline, actively working in parallel with the Director of Production and Vancouver EPs to ensure best practices are employed at the ground level.
What You'll Do
Capacity Management - i n partnership with Talent Managers, Supervisors, Executive Producers and Studio Leadership:
• Assess New Bids, helps create placeholder crew ramps and provide scenarios to ascertain whether work will fit into each studio
• Assess Capacity on Awarded work and Growth scenarios
• Reviews multiple bodies of work and provide analysis when updated crewing needs cause issues
• Raise issues with appropriate Production Team and / or EP and seek to resolve issues collaboratively
• Balance day-to-day needs of multiple projects and crew, informing Talent Management and artists when changes are necessary
• Maintain consistent and updated local capacity assessments to help guide Show / Global capacity decisions
• Maintain overall schedule for assigned portfolio of projects in partnership with show production
• Partner with individual shows on 3PP strategies based on volume and necessity
• Provide consistent reports to share capacity outlook
• Works to define best practices by collaborating with the various stakeholders
• Provide detailed analysis to help navigate strategic crewing and capacity decisions
• Proactively create plans to boost artist utilization. Collaborate with local Talent Managers, global counterparts and Production leadership to even out peaks and troughs of capacity across all departments
• Strives to resolve issues proactively and serves as the interface between Talent Managers and production leadership for crewing issues that can not be resolved
• From a neutral point of view, look for solutions to ensure an equitable split of resources between the local shows while balancing the larger studio talent strategy, deadlines and financial targets
• Provide line management for Associate Production Managers, Production Coordinators, and Production Assistants including performance reviews and career development
• Partner with Executive Producers to support and promote ILM production best practices across the projects
• Forecast production management personnel needs
• Evaluate upcoming production resource needs and work with Recruiting to develop role descriptions, review resumes, conduct interviews and facilitates the hiring of additional production resources
What We're Looking For
• Bachelor's Degree in Film, Art, Communications or related field or equivalent work experience required
• Hands-on Talent Management experience – casting, management & resource scheduling (2+ years)
• Proven track record of successfully working in Visual Effects Production Manager capacity on several major productions at a facility (5+ years)
• Must have a specific understanding of the visual effects business including, pipeline, artist disciplines, techniques, scheduling and throughput
• Strong production and tools knowledge required
• Must be a compelling communicator with a strong point of view and a proven ability to influence others through diplomacy. Must be able to articulate ideas effectively
• Ability to facilitate meetings
• Strong problem-solving capability both independently and in a collaborative environment
• Strong analytical skills including mathematical concepts
• Proven ability to effectively interact and build relationships throughout all levels of an organization.
• Flexible, proactive, positive attitude
• Sound judgment, diplomacy, and tact; ability to maintain confidentiality
• Ability to work with minimal supervision
• Excellent organization and interpersonal skills across geographical locations
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d5kz00-3-238-130-97-42 in your application.
Lucasfilm is among the world’s leading entertainment service companies, a pioneer in visual effects and sound across multiple mediums, and is home to the legendary Star Wars and Indiana Jones franchises.