Senior Look Development Technical Director (Feature Animation & VFX)
Position at Industrial Light & Magic
We are looking for a Senior Look Development Technical Director who reflects the innovative spirit, creative talent, production excellence, collaborative mindset and passion for great filmmaking that define ILM.
Senior Look Development Technical Directors produce high-quality look dev and shading for our CG Assets, needing only initial direction and guidance from their Supervisors.
What You'll Do
• Design and create the lighting and the look of computer generated objects and scenes
• Works closely with Lighting Supervisors, Lookdev Supervisors and CG Supervisors to determine the best approach to solving CG challenges and developing the final look
• Creates efficient rendering setups in order to optimize render farm usage
• Stays on schedule and meets set deadlines while maintaining the highest level of work quality
• Ensures there is ongoing communication with Production and Leads regarding schedules and deadlines
• Helps mentor Junior Artists within the Lighting/Look Dev team
• Create & maintain simple materials using the provided shading templates
• Create & maintain custom hero materials and shading networks when necessary
• Deep understanding of real world materials
• Perform shot Look Dev tasks
• Understanding of energy conservation principles
• Deep understanding of Physically based rendering and shader models
• Ability to work and communicate with model, texture and groom artists to get the best possible results
• Ability to build and maintain complex shading networks with artist usability and user-interface support in mind
What We're Looking For
• Degree and/or professional training in Computer Graphics, with advanced work experience in VFX or Feature Animation
• Exhibits excellent listening and communication skills, able to receive direction and criticism
• Demonstrates the ability to help and teach more junior-level artists
• Demonstrates the ability to prioritize tasks, manages time very well, provides everyone with accurate time estimates on shot task completion
• Demonstrates the ability to work within a team environment
• Demonstrates the ability to work with minimal supervision to complete an asset
• A thorough knowledge of the vfx pipeline from modeling through texturing, grooming, rendering and compositing
• Ability to pick-up new techniques and the ability to learn new software quickly and easily
• Knowledge of Katana and Renderman is beneficial
• Knowledge of python is beneficial
• Strong interest in shading technologies
• At ease with Linux based operating systems
• Good understanding of physically plausible shading techniques
**FOR US BASED NEW HIRES ONLY:** We are taking a responsible approach to creating environments that allow us to do what we do best - entertain and inform millions around the world. As part of our commitment to health and safety, COVID-19 vaccines are required for current US salaried and non-union hourly employees, as well as all newly hired US employees.
• • •
This position is with Industrial Light & Magic, which is part of a business we call Industrial Light & Magic.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-r095m6-3-238-72-122-42 in your application.