Position at Industrial Light & Magic
Senior Animators are responsible for creating high quality motion of computer graphics creatures and objects within a shot, using a variety of animation software programs, and working under the general supervision of Animation Supervisors.
• Lead creation of outstanding animation for graphics creatures and objects within a shot, using various animation software programs.
• Comprehend and execute direction from Lead Animator or Animation Supervisor.
• May supervise the work of entry, mid and mid-high level animators at the discretion of the Animation Supervisor.
• Participates as a team member in determining various aesthetic solutions; provides feedback to other members of the production by attending dailies on a regular basis.
• Expected to train and mentor new Animators as well as provide technical assistance to the show supervisors before and during the production.
• Maintain or exceed a consistent level of productivity while meeting deadlines and producing high quality work.
• Performs other tasks related to the creation of computer-generated animation.
• Occasionally may be required to perform hands-on shot work on show and provide reference performances including motion capture performances as part of assigned shot work and to assist the animation team
• Reports to the Talent Manager, Animation and receives daily oversight and direction from the Animation Supervisor/Lead.
Education / Experience
• At least five years of relevant professional VFX experience and at least a college level diploma or higher in computer graphics, fine arts, design, or photography, or related field; OR
• At least seven years of relevant professional VFX experience in lieu of education.
Required Skills / Competencies
• Expert knowledge of traditional animation principles, acting, film production and compositional design while demonstrating exceptional skills as an animator based as evidenced by portfolio, demo reel and references.
• Completion of a minimum of two years as a Mid-Level Animator in conjunction with recommendations for advancement by the Animation Supervisors and the Department Manager.
• Excellent organization and communications skills.
• Proficiency with Linux desired.
• Expert knowledge of Maya, proprietary and other software programs
• Knowledge of chaining and constraint techniques
Lucasfilm is among the world’s leading entertainment service companies, a pioneer in visual effects and sound across multiple mediums, and is home to the legendary Star Wars and Indiana Jones franchises.