Position at Industrial Light & Magic
This posting is an opportunity to submit your resume for future consideration; this is not a role that is open at this time. We anticipate this role may be open in the future, but we are not actively hiring for the position. If you would like to be considered for this potential role, please submit your resume. If the role becomes available, you may receive an email or call from a recruiter.
Lighting TDs can independently light, render, and do moderate-level compositing of very complex shots. We are seeking Lighting Artists who can not only produce high quality shots on post-production VFX shots, but also apply real-time rendering concepts to produce virtual production content for our StageCraft LED Volumes.
This fusion of high-end graphics and immersive storytelling means creating unparalleled scenes that raise the bar for film-making. We continue to push the boundaries of what's possible. We are looking for talented and driven technologists, artists and designers to join our collaborative, creative, and highly technical work environment.
Have a look at the description below. If it sounds like you, please apply!
• Work with VFX Supervisors, Show Leadership and Concept Artwork to design lighting setups for environments, characters and interactive assets.
• Work with the Stage team to deliver the finaled load to the designated StageCraft shot, sent directly to the operators on-set.
• Utilize dynamic lighting tools, real-time raytracing, image based lighting, 3d color-adjustment tools, light baking strategies, participating media, and real-time rendering, on a daily basis.
• Work with environment, character and VFX artists in the lighting design to achieve the desired targets for aesthetics and performance through material shader and geometry work.
• Actively participate in improving workflows, optimizations, and best practices.
• Identify, triage, and fix bugs as required, working with engineering and relevant departments.
• Take final content to a high degree of polish and optimization.
Required Skills / Experience
• 5+ years experience as a lighting TD/artist - in 3D game development or Animation/VFX Film studio.
• Strong aesthetic sense for lighting and color theory.
• Strong technical understanding of current real-time lighting tool sets including atmospheric effects, post processing, color grading and HDR IBL workflows.
• Collaborative mindset, can take direction, and know what looks good and why.
• Experience with Unreal/Unity or equivalent real-time platform: dynamic and baked lighting workflows and physically-based rendering.
• Shaders: in-depth knowledge of real-time shader implementations and limitations.
• Fluency in working in Linux.
• Excellent communication, organization and problem-solving skills, and self-motivated.
• A portfolio / reel submission - including a detailed breakdown of your work in each section - is required with all applications.
Preferred Skills / Experience
• Strong traditional art, photography or film studies background.
• Experience in multiple VFX pipeline departments with a wide range of CG skills.
• Proficient with profiling tools in the examination & diagnosis of performance issues related to lighting.
• Experience with one or more of the following: Maya, Unity, Unreal, Substance Designer / Painter, Zbrush or Mudbox, Houdini, Mari, 3D StudioMax, Photoshop, Nuke, Zeno.
• Interest and capacity to work with proprietary tool sets.
Lucasfilm is among the world’s leading entertainment service companies, a pioneer in visual effects and sound across multiple mediums, and is home to the legendary Star Wars and Indiana Jones franchises.