Position at Industrial Light & Magic
The Pipeline TD develops and maintains software tools, providing front-line support to artists, and general troubleshooting of the CG pipeline in a fast-paced, feature film visual effects production environment. The primary focus is ensuring artist efficiency. Receives day-to-day direction and priorities from show CG Supervisor; reports to Studio Technology Director/Supervisors for technical guidance and oversight.
• Develop pipeline and asset management tools to meet immediate, show-directed production demands, ensuring facility-wide consistency as directed by show and technical supervisors.
• Help maintain a wide array of existing workflows and scripts.
• Provide front-line production support across a wide range of disciplines, troubleshoot assets and shots, and help artists with general problem-solving. Monitor email requests, package up problems and redirect to appropriate engineering team.
• Test and validate tools and techniques in production. Work closely with engineering teams in testing, and releasing new and modified software systems.
• Act as an on-call resource for show production staff, primarily for complex, urgent problems.
• Work effectively with artists, production supervisors, and technical staff across ILM studios in San Francisco, Singapore, Sydney and London.
• When not crewed to shows, serve on software teams working on projects that improve the efficiency of asset setup, caching, and shot-data handoff between artists across the entire pipeline.
• Identify day-to- day priorities in conjunction with show supervisors; act autonomously.
• Work primarily on tools of a high degree of complexity, requiring broad knowledge of the larger pipeline.
• Develop comprehensive knowledge of software and systems; contribute to evolving standards and conventions used in production.
• Update documentation for the pipeline and tools to reflect any changes that are made.
Education / Experience
• At least 2 years relevant production experience in visual effects for film, commercials or television and a BA in computer science, or related field; OR, an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Demonstrated experience developing and maintaining tools for use in computer graphics.
Required Skills / Competencies
• Proficiency in Linux
• Advanced Python scripting required
• Experience in one or more of Maya, Nuke, Houdini, Mari, Katana, RenderMan or similar
• Ability to communicate cross-discipline and provide innovative solutions to pipeline issues.
• Detail oriented and strong self-sufficient trouble shooter.
• Good understanding of the entire visual effects process, from shooting to modeling and texturing, animation, rendering and compositing
Preferred Skills / Competencies
• Experience with production database systems
• Experience with C, C++
• Experience with Windows development and applications such as 3ds max a plus.