Pipeline Technical Director - (Environments)
Position at Industrial Light & Magic
ILM opened its Sydney studio in the summer of 2019. The youngest of all of the ILM studios, the Sydney studio leverages the expertise and technological know-how developed over 40 years at Industrial Light & Magic combined with the top artists and technicians in the region. Knowledge and culture flow freely between the company's five studios and the global team shares tools and workflow allowing for seamless collaboration on all shared projects.
As we grow ILM Sydney we are looking for a Pipeline TD who reflects the innovative spirit, creative talent, production excellence, collaborative mindset and passion for great filmmaking that define ILM.
The Pipeline TD (Environments) is responsible for supporting the CG Environments department in the development and maintenance of software tools. The position provides front-line support to artists, and general troubleshooting of the CG pipeline in a fast-paced, feature film visual effects production environment. The primary focus is ensuring artist efficiency. The Department Pipeline TD receives day-to-day direction and priorities from ILM's Environment CG Tech Supervisor; reports to R&D supervisor for technical and career guidance.
What you'll do
• Develop pipeline and asset management tools to meet immediate, show-directed production demands, ensuring facility-wide consistency as directed by show and technical supervisors. Help maintain a wide array of existing workflows and scripts.
• Provide front-line production support to the Environments department, troubleshoot assets and shots, and help artists with general problem-solving. Monitor email requests, package up problems and redirect to the appropriate engineering team.
• Test and validate tools and techniques in production. Work closely with engineering teams in testing, and releasing new and modified software systems.
• Act as an on-call resource for show production staff.
• Collaborate effectively with artists, production supervisors, and technical staff across ILM studios in San Francisco, Vancouver, Singapore, London and Sydney.
• When not crewed to shows, serve on software teams working on projects that improve the efficiency of asset setup, caching, and shot-data handoff between artists across the entire pipeline.
What we're looking for
• You have a Bachelor's degree or equivalent in Computer Science or a related technical field.
• Demonstrated experience developing and maintaining tools for use in computer graphics.
• At least 2 years production experience in visual effects for film, commercials or television
• Proficiency in Linux and strong Python scripting
• Experience in one or more of Maya, Nuke, Houdini, Clarisse, Mari, Katana, RenderMan or similar.
• Experience with production database systems and C,C++
We are taking a responsible approach to creating environments that allow us to do what we do best - entertain and inform millions around the world. As part of our commitment to health and safety, COVID-19 vaccines are required for current US salaried and non-union hourly employees, as well as all newly hired employees.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-r110zv-3-236-212-116-42 in your application.