Position at Industrial Light & Magic
The youngest of all of the ILM studios, the Sydney studio leverages the expertise and technological know-how developed over 40 years at Industrial Light & Magic combined with the top artists and technicians in the region. Knowledge and culture flow freely between the company's five studios and the global team shares tools and workflow allowing for seamless collaboration on all shared projects.
As we grow ILM Sydney, we are seeking modelers to join our team of artists and be a part of this exciting opportunity.
Modelers are responsible for building a variety of creature and/or hard surface models to be used by other disciplines along the pipeline under the direction and guidance of their supervisors.
• Build complex organic and hard surfaced models, including creatures, vehicles, mechanical suits, props and sets, with minimal supervision and art direction
• The modeler must incorporate technical expertise, artistic ability, and a basic understanding of animation and anatomy
• Works with the team (Technical Directors, Supervisors and Animators) to determine the ''look'' for an object.
• Works with production management to ensure they hit deadlines and deliveries.
• Builds the geometry of computer graphic models, with an understanding of how the geometry will be used in the production process.
• Performs other tasks related to the creation of computer-generated animation.
Required Skills / Competencies
• Demonstrated ability to model a variety of complex 3D objects
• Sound familiarity with shape deformation tools
• Communicates well with other production artists and production management
• Accurately bid and schedule model builds
• Ability to lead and mentor junior modelers
• Ability to adapt to and develop new techniques
• Sets a high standard for all modelers
• Excellent time management skills
• Demonstrates ability to work with competency, energy and enthusiasm within a team environment with minimal supervision to build complex models.
• Demonstrates good listening and communication skills by openly receiving direction and criticism about how to best approach what needs to be done. Immediately implements the requested changes and is conscientious about raising flags right away if a solution is not quickly found or if there are any delays. Also, keeps Supervisors and Production in the loop and are up-to-date at all times on the status of one's assignment at all times.
• Demonstrates excellent presentation/communication skills in dailies/model review by clearly and briefly outlining what has been accomplished and what should be addressed next.
• Demonstrates an excellent eye toward anticipating potential problems and knowing what could look could be improved and what is good enough.
• Demonstrates the ability to prioritize tasks extremely well, providing everyone with accurate time estimates on assignment completion.
• Proficient at learning proprietary software
Required Technical Skills
• Expert in Maya and Zbrush
Preferred Skills / Competencies
• Modo, Mudbox, Mari, Photoshop also a plus
Education / Experience
• At least 5 years experience
We are taking a responsible approach to creating environments that allow us to do what we do best - entertain and inform millions around the world. As part of our commitment to health and safety, COVID-19 vaccines are required for current US salaried and non-union hourly employees, as well as all newly hired employees.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-ro3m64-3-236-55-22-42 in your application.