Lighting Technical Director
Position at Industrial Light & Magic
This posting is an opportunity to submit your resume for future consideration; this is not a role that is open at this time. We anticipate this role may be open in the future, but we are not actively hiring for the position. If you would like to be considered for this potential role, please submit your resume. If the role becomes available, you may receive an email or call from a recruiter.
ILM opened its Sydney studio in the summer of 2019. The youngest of all of the ILM studios, the Sydney studio leverages the expertise and technological know-how developed over 40 years at Industrial Light & Magic combined with the top artists and technicians in the region. Knowledge and culture flow freely between the company’s five studios and the global team shares tools and workflow allowing for seamless collaboration on all shared projects.
As we grow ILM Sydney, we are seeking a Lighting Technical Director to join the team and be a part of this exciting opportunity.
Lighting Technical Directors (TD) work with direction from the Visual Effects Supervisors and Sequence Supervisors to create the look of computer generated objects and scenes. They are responsible for lighting, shading, rendering, and some compositing. TDs work with other artists such as Character Animator, Rotoscope Artists and Compositors to bring the shot together.
• Creates images, effects and programs for digitally composited sequences
• Responsible for compiling the various elements of a shot and seeing it through to completion
• Designs and implements direct and reflected lighting and shadows for assigned shots that meet art and tone direction
• Develop solutions and techniques that meet art/technical direction
• Able to navigate and use previous setups for at least a dozen shots, insertion of shot specialization, managing multiple assets and lighting setups
• Management of volumetric light setups, including shadowing and cucoloris development
• Light, material assign and render for actors using CG hair and scattering skin materials.
Education / Experience
• Bachelor's degree in computer science, engineering or computer graphics or equivalent 3-5+ years production experience or feature film experience with effects simulation work
Required Skills / Technical Competencies
• Linux and scripting ability in Python
• Advanced simulation experience with either Houdini, Maya, XSI, 3DS Max or other software, and ability to write expressions or authoring of shaders
Preferred Skills / Competencies
• Experience in MEL
• C++ skills also applicable
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-r120zv-18-234-244-170-42 in your application.
Lucasfilm is among the world’s leading entertainment service companies, a pioneer in visual effects and sound across multiple mediums, and is home to the legendary Star Wars and Indiana Jones franchises.