Effects Technical Director
Position at Industrial Light & Magic
ILM opened its Sydney studio in the summer of 2019. The youngest of all of the ILM studios, the Sydney studio leverages the expertise and technological know-how developed over 40 years at Industrial Light & Magic combined with the top artists and technicians in the region. Knowledge and culture flow freely between the company's five studios and the global team shares tools and workflow allowing for seamless collaboration on all shared projects.
As we grow ILM Sydney, we are seeking a Lead Pipeline Technical Director to join the team and be a part of this exciting opportunity.
The Lead Pipeline Technical Director is responsible for taking a lead role in developing, maintaining and ensuring the smooth running of the VFX production pipeline. They will be active in both development projects, show support and will mentor the Pipeline Technical Director team in Sydney.
We are looking for a proven leader who reflects the innovative spirit, creative talent, production excellence, collaborative mindset and passion for great filmmaking that define ILM.
On any given day, you might partner with the Production Engineer Supervisor and CG supervisors to:
• Develop workflow and tools on show-specific projects locally and across all studios.
• Ensure the Pipeline TD team is adhering to ILM standards when building new tools and workflows
• Approve methods and procedures on new projects and in conjunction with the assigned Pipeline TD, including code reviews locally and globally
• Serve as key knowledge resource for workflow and tools used in production at ILM
• Advise other engineers with maintenance and bug fixing of existing tools
• Collaborate with show supervisors across shows to develop per-show tool customizations, avoiding duplicating work across shows
• Provide training and assistance to both Pipeline TDs, production and artists on toolsets and workflows
• Lead discussions surrounding future workflow and tool development, ensuring best practices
• Participate in the activities of the globally distributed production engineering team, focusing on development and support activities, status and planning meetings and adhere to development best practices and standards defined by the Supervisor
Here are the skills and experience you need to be successful in this role:
• Solid production experience in the visual effects and/or computer animation industries, with an understanding of working in a collaborative global environment
• A confident leader, who enjoys working with people and has experience mentoring teams
• A creative thinker and innovator: able to devise and employ clever solutions to difficult problems
• Technically strong, with expert knowledge of python, the linux environment, code standards and VFX software such as Maya, Nuke, Houdini or Katana, Renderman, vray, or Arnold
• Experience with database technologies such as MySQL, PostgreSQL, MongoDB or Redis and writing RESTful APIs
• Bachelor's degree in Computing Science or Graphics discipline, or equivalent professional experience
Lucasfilm is among the world’s leading entertainment service companies, a pioneer in visual effects and sound across multiple mediums, and is home to the legendary Star Wars and Indiana Jones franchises.