San Francisco, CA
Position at ILMxLAB
This posting is an opportunity to submit your resume for future consideration; this is not a role that is open at this time. We anticipate this role may be open in the future, but we are not actively hiring for the position. If you would like to be considered for this potential role, please submit your resume. If the role becomes available, you may receive an email or call from a recruiter.
*Remote Work Option Available*
We’re on a mission: building the future. We’re working in this crazy-fun, hybridized fusion of entertainment where exceptionally high-end (previously pre-rendered) VFX meets interactive, immersive stories. That spectacular mash-up results in unparalleled real-time worlds where we endeavor to raise the bar for experiences and visuals as high as we possibly can. As if making compelling movies and games wasn’t hard enough in isolation! Don’t get us wrong, we’re not complaining about the challenges. That’s literally why we come to work: It is our great fortune to be standing at the crossroads - unconstrained by a specific title or universe - in a collaborative, highly creative and highly technical work environment. If that sounds interesting, jump in. We still believe in picking up hitchhikers.
Our team is growing. We are looking for talented, driven creative technologists to help design and build the next generation of immersive stories. Have a look at the description below. If it sounds like you, send us your stuff!
What You'll Do
• Collaborate with dev team to advance the state of real-time rendered immersive experiences, striving for highest possible visual fidelity and artistic innovation
• Work closely with the design leads to conceptualize, model, dress and light real-time worlds based on related concept art and photographic reference for franchise / IP
• Work with engineering leads & technical artists to establish and maintain performance and memory budget streaming requirements and other run-time requirements
• Establish a thorough understanding of the existing tools and pipelines; experiment / champion opportunities for improvement
• Help define and act as a key customer for new technology investments and art pipeline development
• Collaborate in development of task lists, estimates, schedules, milestones and overall project goals as necessary
• Actively participate in the QA process to identify and fix bugs
• Supervision of junior-level artists as required
What We're Looking For
• Minimum of 5 years’ experience in game development designing, modeling, and texturing 3D assets using Maya and Photoshop (or equivalent 3D/2D programs) on multiple shipped titles.
• Extensive experience working with Unreal 3 or 4, including terrain / landscape editing, level streaming set-up and implementation
• Exceptional understanding of form, shape, structure, and silhouette in regard to modeling
• Superior eye for light, shade, color, and detail in creating texture maps of different material types
• Strong paint skills, multi-layered materials and effective texture layout.
• Advanced abilities in Z-Brush or Mud Box
• Strong understanding of PBR workflow, materials and lighting.
• Ability to switch between a wide range of styles.
• Collaborative, team-player attitude: open & receptive to new ideas, constructive criticism, direction and changes.
• Nice to have:
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
• Passion for game development, and working in VR or AR
• Knowledge of 2.5D projections and associated pipelines
• Experience with Substance Designer / Painter, Mari, WorldMachine, Quixel
• Experience working with photogrammetry
• Experience with Unity, FrostEd, Hammer, Radiant or other level design / editor tools
• Able to create stylized concept art and illustration
• An appreciation for source control
• An exceptional understanding of form, shape, structure, and silhouette in regard to modeling
• Strong foundation in the traditional arts including, but not limited to, figure drawing, and environmental and / or architectural illustration
• Exceptional examples in set design, production design and/or architecture.
• Strong aesthetic appreciation for composition, proportion, mass and volume, light, lighting and color.
• 3D sculpting and modeling abilities interpreting 2D concept.
• Mesh geometry constructed for a real-time engine, built with an understanding of level layout, lighting and reuse whilst respecting run-time performance.
**A portfolio / reel submission is required. Show us your chops. A detailed breakdown of your work in each section of the reel is also required**
Lucasfilm is among the world’s leading entertainment service companies, a pioneer in visual effects and sound across multiple mediums, and is home to the legendary Star Wars and Indiana Jones franchises.