Position at Industrial Light & Magic
The Effects TD generates FX animation, procedural simulation, dynamic simulation, particle and fluid systems for feature film visual effects. They are responsible for lighting, rendering and moderate-level compositing of complex shots with guidance from their supervisors.
• Designs and creates FX animation, procedural simulation, dynamic simulation, particle and fluid systems
• Light complex/multiple elements; communicates status of shots to supervisors and Production
• Provides accurate time estimates for shotwork
• Responsible for handing off elements to other departments i.e. comp and rendering teams
• Presents shot work in dailies; attend dailies and other department meetings
• Mentor junior Effects artists
• Data management of shots including clean up
• Special projects as needed
Education / Experience
• At least three years of relevant professional VFX experience and at least a college level diploma or higher in computer graphics, fine arts, design, or photography, or related field; OR at least five years of relevant professional VFX experience in lieu of education.
Required Skills / Technical Competencies
• Demonstrates an excellent aesthetic eye
• Exhibits strong teamwork and interdisciplinary thinking
• Production pipeline experience
• Strong communication and follow-through
• Ability to work under pressure and deadlines
• Experience with either Maya, 3DS Max, Houdini, or similar software
• Basic understanding of the physics of simulation
Preferred Skills / Technical Competencies
• Linux and scripting ability in Python
• Advanced simulation experience with either Houdini, Maya, 3DS Max or other software, and the ability to write expressions
Lucasfilm is among the world’s leading entertainment service companies, a pioneer in visual effects and sound across multiple mediums, and is home to the legendary Star Wars and Indiana Jones franchises.