Junior Lighting Technical Director
Position at Industrial Light & Magic
The Digital Paint Artist restores background plates and creates digital articulate mattes.
• Demonstrates a strong eye for color and grain structures with the ability to match saturation, hues and black points from multiple sources to create a cohesive final montage.
• Able to break shots down into individual components with little supervision.
• Easily assimilates feedback given by supervisors.
• Researches appropriate references including continuity with like shots. Proactively shares this information with team.
• Demonstrates a keen eye for recognizing paint artifacts, sharpness and color issues.
• Able to handle complex shots with heavy motion blur, lots of layers, etc.
• Ability to use a combination of techniques when dealing with tricky wire removals and clean plates.
• Demonstrates a basic ability to do ''paint on comp'' work to a high level of quality.
• Working knowledge of color correction and Grain pipeline in Nuke.
• Ability to use layout and DM cameras in Nuke.
• Ability to export track points between multiple toolsets.
• Working knowledge of stereo compositing pipeline.
• Demonstrates excellent troubleshooting skills.
• Takes ownership and responsibility of shot. Proactively offers options and finds own solutions for production problems.
• Actively works across departments in shot groups. Provides updates to production and other artists on shot progress.
Education / Experience
• Bachelor's degree in Graphic Design, Drawing, Animation or equivalent artistic background and education required.
• Minimum 3 years' production experience in computer graphics, animation or video.
• Professional experience with Silhouette and Nuke.
Required Skills / Competencies
• Ability to write Nuke gizmos and/or plugins is a plus.
• Python and/or C++ experience a plus.
• Computer proficiency including UNIX operating system; the ability to learn software and adapt scripts.
• Must have an understanding of how their work fits into the pipeline and its effect on upstream and downstream departments.
• Must have a willingness to learn new tools, a proven ability to be detail-oriented, and problem solving skills.
• Adaptability and willingness to work under tight deadlines and to work efficiently within a production environment.
Lucasfilm is among the world’s leading entertainment service companies, a pioneer in visual effects and sound across multiple mediums, and is home to the legendary Star Wars and Indiana Jones franchises.