Position at Industrial Light & Magic
The youngest of all of the ILM studios, the Sydney studio leverages the expertise and technological know-how developed over 40 years at Industrial Light & Magic combined with the top artists and technicians in the region. Knowledge and culture flow freely between the company’s five studios and the global team shares tools and workflow allowing for seamless collaboration on all shared projects.
As we grow ILM Sydney, we are seeking creature technical directors to join the team and be a part of this exciting opportunity.
Creature technical directors are responsible for setting up and running flesh-surface, hair, cloth, rigid body simulations as well as able to wrangle rigging and creature pipeline issues proficiently under the direction and guidance of their supervisors.
• Set up and run proprietary cloth, hair, flesh surfaces and rigid body simulations
• Hero-creature enveloping using a combination of commercial software packages and proprietary tools
• Run flesh-volume simulations
• Wrangle creature rigging issues for artists in other disciplines
• Mentor entry level artists
• Script utilities/tools/plug-ins in various software packages
• Create dynamic simulations in packages such as Maya/XSI
• Wrangle creature pipeline issues for artists in other disciplines, such as:
• MOCAP data re-targeting in XSI/Maya;
• Act as wrangler for a creature and/or a specific technique used across multiple creatures
Education / Experience
• Bachelor's degree or equivalent degree in Computer Science, computer visualization, or computer animation required
• At least 3 years work experience required in 3D CGI for digital animation, visual effects or producing cg characters and creatures for visual media
• At least 3 years work experience as a Maya rigger in digital animation, visual effects, games, commercials or producing cg characters and creatures for visual media
Required Skills / Competencies
• Drive for result
• Plans well and Manages Priorities
• Stay Agile and Flexible
• Good social skills and communication skills
• Thinks Analytically and innovatively
• Always curious and seek for new learning opportunities
Required Technical Skills
• Proficiency with Linux is required
• Expertise with Maya and Massive is required
• Experience with python scripting
Lucasfilm is among the world’s leading entertainment service companies, a pioneer in visual effects and sound across multiple mediums, and is home to the legendary Star Wars and Indiana Jones franchises.