Character Facial Modeler
Position at Industrial Light & Magic
With an emphasis on anatomy and form, the creature modeler will create three dimensional CG characters to be painted, enveloped and animated by the creature development team.
• Creates three-dimensional creatures for the Animator and Technical Director. Employs specific software tools to build the geometric structure of the object and ensures that the model will satisfy the requirements of the production.
• In building creatures, the modeler must incorporate technical expertise, artistic ability, and a basic understanding of animation.
• Works with production team (Sr. Modeler, Technical Directors and Animators) to identify the “look” for an object.
• Builds the geometry of computer graphic models, with an understanding of how the geometry will be used in the production process.
• Performs other tasks related to the creation of computer-generated animation.
Education / Experience
• Bachelor’s degree in Fine Arts or equivalent with a thorough understanding of anatomy, character design and animation
• Portfolio demonstrating traditional artistic skills including illustration, and sculptural abilities a plus
Required Skills / Competencies
• Proven experience creating digital creatures or characters in a feature film or production environment
• Requires familiarity with film and video post production techniques and with computer graphic techniques
Required Technical Skills
• 2-3 years Zbrush, Maya, and facial development experience and/or a demonstrated desire to develop computer skills.
• Knowledge of UNIX is a necessity to navigate through ILM’s production pipeline
Lucasfilm is among the world’s leading entertainment service companies, a pioneer in visual effects and sound across multiple mediums, and is home to the legendary Star Wars and Indiana Jones franchises.