Position at Industrial Light & Magic
ILM opened its Sydney studio in the summer of 2019. The youngest of all of the ILM studios, the Sydney studio leverages the expertise and technological know-how developed over 40 years at Industrial Light & Magic combined with the top artists and technicians in the region. Knowledge and culture flow freely between the company’s five studios and the global team shares tools and workflow allowing for seamless collaboration on all shared projects.
As we grow ILM Sydney, we are seeking a Compositor to join the team and be a part of this exciting opportunity.
The Compositor combines live action and computer generated elements into visual effects shots that realize the vision and creative direction of the client and Visual Effects Supervisor. The compositor is ultimately responsible for the aesthetic integrity and technical quality of the final image delivered to the client.
• Alongside Compositing Supervisor and VFX Supervisor, evaluates creative and technical approach for assigned shots
• Performs all tasks associated with the Compositing process, including 2D tracking, matte extraction, layering of elements, and colour grading on moderately difficult to very difficult shots
• Maintains the overall look, colour balance, and quality for assigned shots and sequences to create uniformity in all finished work
• Ability to work collaboratively with artists from other disciplines
Education / Experience
• At least 3 years relevant professional VFX experience and at least a college level diploma in computer graphics, fine arts, design, or photography, or related field; OR, at least 5 years relevant professional VFX experience
Required Skills / Technical Competencies
• Strong knowledge of Nuke
• Strong aesthetic skills in judging photo-realism and color
• Ability to work gracefully under pressure to meet deadlines
• Strong sense of composition, color and design
Preferred Skills / Competencies
• The ideal candidate has strong fine arts foundation skills, such as photography and photographic lighting
• Familiarity with using Unix systems preferred
• Ability to write Nuke gizmos and/or plugins is a plus
• Python and/or C++ experience a plus
Lucasfilm is among the world’s leading entertainment service companies, a pioneer in visual effects and sound across multiple mediums, and is home to the legendary Star Wars and Indiana Jones franchises.