Working in KXAN's newsroom in Austin, the State Capital MMJ reports on Texas' biggest stories for all of Nexstar's television markets across the Lone Star State. This dynamic position puts you in the spotlight for state government and politics coverage, as well as major breaking news and severe weather. Your stories and live shots will be seen in more than a dozen TV markets daily.
Ideal candidates have broad experience with hard news, general assignments, breaking news, severe weather and reporting on state government and politics. This position requires schedule flexibility and preparedness to travel for breaking news.
Your previous work must demonstrate compelling television storytelling, dynamic live shots, as well as effective reporting on digital and social media platforms. Must show strong videography and editing skills using Avid or similar system. Must have a track record of generating hard news story ideas, working a beat and cultivating relationships with sources. Three years' experience shooting, editing and writing as an MMJ preferred and journalism degree or similar required.
The Multimedia Journalist Reporter produces, reports, shoots, writes, voices, edits and feeds news production content for all platforms in a manner that is clear, engaging and meaningful to news consumers.
• Generate daily story ideas with strong value for a statewide audience
• Research, set-up and produce multiplatform stories and live shots
• Organize information, determine focus and write story according to KXAN's editorial style and format standards
• React urgently to breaking news and be prepared to travel to assigned locations
• Work and communicate effectively with partner MMJ, management and other staff
• Reports news stories for broadcast, describing the background and details of events
• Arranges interviews with people who can provide information about stories
• Reviews copy and corrects errors in content, grammar and punctuation, following prescribed editorial style and formatting guidelines
• Reviews and evaluates notes taken about event aspects to isolate pertinent facts and details
• Determines a story's emphasis, length and format, and organizes material accordingly
• Researches and analyzes background information related to news stories to be able to provide complete and accurate information
• Gathers information about events through research, interviews, experience or attendance at political, news, sports, artistic, social or other functions
• Pitches stories to news managers and news producers which are relevant to the local community
• Receives assignments and evaluates leads and tips to develop story ideas
• Discusses issues with producers and/or news managers to establish priorities or positions
• Checks reference materials such as books, news files or public records to obtain relevant facts
• Revises work to meet editorial approval or to fit time requirements
• Shoots and edits news events and news reports
• Produces and presents reports for all platforms
• Ensures that all content meets company standards for journalistic integrity and production quality
• Writes stories for the web and other eMedia platforms
• Interacts with viewers/users on social media sites
• Performs special projects and other duties as assigned
Requirements & Skills:
• Bachelor's degree in Broadcast Journalism, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work-related experience
• Fluency in English
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written with the ability to ad lib when required
• Minimum two years' experience in news reporting (Depending on market size)
• Superior on-air presence
• Proficiency with computers, telephones, copiers, scanners, fax machines and other office equipment
• Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously
• Valid driver's license with a good driving record
• Flexibility to work any shift
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d50w5e-34-229-119-176-42 in your application.