KTAB/KRBC - the news leader in our market - has an immediate opening for Digital MMJ. We are looking for a storyteller who can help us elevate our product!
Digital MMJ needs the ability to multi-task -- balancing multiple stories while creating content for social media. The ideal candidate will think outside-the-box to craft stories with a unique presentation. We're looking for a writer with a voice: someone who can cut through the clutter and noise.
Candidates should have strong grammatical skills with a demonstrated ability to edit and self-edit. Experience writing for an online audience and knowledge of AP style is a plus. The ideal candidate will have familiarity with content management systems and SEO.
We are the market leader in online news so you must be a team player ready to jump aboard.
The ideal candidate will have a history of impactful storytelling in the digital space. Must have experience producing multimedia stories and capable of generating photos, videos and infographics. Applicants should provide examples.
Required experience includes journalism degree, as well as expertise with CMS workflow, digital storytelling tools and the FOIA process. Must have a track record of effective collaboration with colleagues and cultivating sources to break news and generate story ideas.
• Reports news stories for digital platforms, describing the background and details of events
• Arranges interviews with people who can provide information about stories
• Reviews copy and corrects errors in content, grammar and punctuation, following prescribed editorial style and formatting guidelines
• Reviews and evaluates notes taken about event aspects to isolate pertinent facts and details
• Determines a story's emphasis, length and format, and organizes material accordingly
• Researches and analyzes background information related to news stories to be able to provide complete and accurate information
• Gathers information about events through research, interviews, experience or attendance at political, news, sports, artistic, social or other functions
• Pitches stories to news managers and news producers which are relevant to the local community
• Receives assignments and evaluates leads and tips to develop story ideas
• Discusses issues with producers and/or news managers to establish priorities or positions
• Checks reference materials such as books, news files or public records to obtain relevant facts
• Revises work to meet editorial approval or to fit time requirements
• Shoots and edits news events and news reports
• Produces and presents reports for all platforms
• Ensures that all content meets company standards for journalistic integrity and production quality
• Writes stories for the web and other eMedia platforms
• Interacts with viewers/users on social media sites
• Performs special projects and other duties as assigned
Requirements & Skills:
• Bachelor's degree in Broadcast Journalism, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work-related experience
• Fluency in English
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written with the ability to ad lib when required
• Superior on-air presence
• Proficiency with computers, telephones, copiers, scanners, fax machines and other office equipment
• Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously
• Valid driver's license with a good driving record
• Flexibility to work any shift
Physical Demands & Work Environment:
The Multimedia Journalist Reporter must be able to sit, conduct telephone conversations, use electronic mail, write letters and memos, conduct face-to-face discussions with individuals or groups, make decisions without supervision, make decisions that impact the results of co-workers, work near others, work outdoors occasionally in all weather conditions, and work indoors in environmentally controlled conditions. In addition, the Multimedia Journalist Reporter must be able to lift, set up and operate equipment weighing up to 25 pounds, and be able to handle, control or feel objects, tools or controls. Repetitive movements are required. Work may be conducted in extremely bright or inadequate lighting conditions.
Nexstar Media Group is America’s largest local television and media company with 196 full power stations (including partner stations) in 114 markets addressing nearly 63% of US television households and a growing digital media operation.