KSWO is a heritage ABC affiliate in the Wichita Falls/Lawton DMA celebrating our 70th anniversary. KSWO is counted on to provide outstanding news, weather, and entertainment to our communities in 17 Oklahoma and Texas counties.
The top-rated station in southwest Oklahoma and north Texas leads the market in weather coverage with the First Alert Weather team, the largest group of meteorologists tracking storms in the southern plains. Lawton is ideally located halfway between Oklahoma City and the Dallas/ Fort Worth metroplex. Our region is known for the rugged beauty of the Wichita Mountains and the National Wildlife Refuge, a hiker's paradise. Affordable living, great outdoor adventures, and proximity to major cities and their attractions make the Lawton – Wichita Falls market an exciting opportunity for career growth.
The Assistant News Director will work closely with the News Director, and other staff members on day-to-day operations and supervision of the newsroom. We want someone aggressive in pursuing breaking news, who is passionate about not simply covering but uncovering news, and who is a creative thinker. The ideal candidate must be a self-starter who thrives in a fast-paced, winning news environment.
Duties/Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Work with News Staff initiating and managing content delivery
- Setting an urgent and aggressive tone in the newsroom
- Making editorial decisions on content
- Assist News Director in effectively communicating goals and plans for the newsroom and ensuring those plans are carried out by all staff members
- Assisting morning, evening, and weekend producers and reporters with story development and assignment
- Executing our Breaking News and Severe Weather coverage plans
- Plan and execute big story coverage
- Holding all staff members accountable daily
- Conduct regular feedback sessions with all employees
- Participate in editorial and planning meetings
- Work with producers and reporters to enterprise and generate content
- Monitor all newscasts and digital news coverage to ensure staff is meeting standards
- Maintain a high level of confidentiality
- Protect and defend the journalistic integrity of the news product
- Ensure the news team follows best practices on all platforms
- Execute news strategies developed by news department management
- Bachelor's degree in journalism or related field preferred, equivalent experience considered
- Minimum two years of management experience required
- Must exhibit an understanding of broadcast, digital, social, and streaming platforms
Interested applicants can go to https://gray.tv/careers#currentopenings, you may type in the job title, station call letters, or click on ''apply now'', upload your cover letter, resume, and references
(Current employees who are interested in this position can apply through the Gray-TV UltiPro self-service portal)
KSWO-TV/Gray Television, Inc. is a drug-free company
Gray Television encourages all new employees to be fully vaccinated against the coronavirus virus prior to or by the first workday.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gx2mvj-44-197-101-251-42 in your application.