KSNW is looking for an experienced journalist to join our team as a weekend evening co-anchor. We are looking for an individual who is a team player, strong writer, and eager to contribute to the overall growth of the newsroom. The anchor/MMJ will play an active role in the weekend evening shows and news development. Three days a week, you'll be expected to pitch day-turn stories and report, write, shoot, edit, and perform live shots as a reporter/MMJ for our daily newscasts. The ideal candidate should have the ability to enterprise relevant, unique, broad-appeal content every day. An ethical journalist with strong storytelling skills and a desire to be an active member of the newsroom and the Wichita community will thrive in this position!
If you've never been to Wichita, it is a hidden gem! This underrated city boasts an affordable cost of living, friendly people, great restaurants, up and coming arts and culture scene and very little traffic.
The Weekend Evening News Anchor/MMJ presents, reports, shoots, writes, voices, edits and feeds news production content for all platforms in a manner that is clear, engaging and meaningful to news consumers.
• Gathers and presents accurate and interesting information for news stories and other content for all platforms.
• Evaluates news leads and tips to develop story ideas. Gathers and verifies accurate information about newsworthy events by interview, investigation, or observation.
• Ensures that all news content meets company standards for journalistic integrity and production quality.
• Writes and delivers news stories in a clear and concise manner.
• Assists in writing, copy editing, researching and coordinating news programming and other content.
• Presents compelling, clear, creative and accurate live shots.
• Responds to breaking news and other urgent newsrooms situations as required.
• Participates in promotional activities including public appearances.
• Performs special projects and other duties as assigned.
• Writes content for the website and other eMedia platforms.
• Interacts with viewers/users on social media sites.
Requirements & Skills:
• Bachelor's degree in Broadcast Journalism, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work-related experience.
• Minimum 3 years' experience in news reporting; regular or fill-in anchoring experience also required.
• Fluency in English, bilingual in Spanish a plus.
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written with the ability to ad lib when required.
• Superior on-air presence.
• Excellent news judgment with knowledge of local and national current events, history, newsmakers, and issues.
• Proficiency with newsroom computer systems, editing, camera equipment, computers, telephones, and other office equipment.
• Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
• Ability to effectively listen to fully understand problems and communicate with a team to shape a solution.
• Valid driver's license with a good driving record.
• Flexibility to work any shift.
Provide resume and digital reel when applying.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/MENTAL/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: High-stress environment with deadline pressures. Travel will be required on a regular basis. Position requires the transport of equipment weighing up to 60 lbs. Position often requires work in extreme outdoor temperatures. A valid driver's license and an acceptable driving record are required.
NOTE: This job description contains the basic requirements for the position and is NOT intended to be a complete list of responsibilities; other duties may be assigned.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d8boom-18-207-160-97-42 in your application.