KSNW is looking for a digital multi-media journalist ready to take their skills to the next level in a newsroom that fosters growth and development. Position requires daily digital reporting, shooting, editing, live shots and on-air responsibilities. We are looking for someone to be an active member of the Wichita community. The right candidate will enterprise hard news stories, develop sources and tell stories that are important to our community. We are looking for storytellers with strong writing skills, willing to shoot and edit and committed to a strong social media presence. Opportunities for advancement for those committed to their personal and professional development.
Now, about where you'll be living: the Wichita area. It's a hidden gem. This underrated city boasts affordable cost of living, friendly people, great restaurants, up and coming arts and culture scene and very little traffic. If you are ready to come to a place where you practice your craft at a higher level working with a great team, you are invited to apply.
The Multimedia Journalist Reporter produces, reports, shoots, writes, voices, edits and feeds news production content for all platforms in a manner that is clear, engaging and meaningful to news consumers.
• Evaluate news leads and tips to develop and pitch story ideas that are relevant to the local community
• Gather and verify accurate information about newsworthy events by interview, investigation, or observation for digital and newscast presentations
• Produce accurate, complete and compelling news copy on deadline
• Build network of sources who supply information that allows the Company to stay ahead of its competitors
• Develop ideas for news, feature and enterprise pieces, as well as investigative stories
• Present compelling, clear, creative and accurate live shots, on air and online
• Organize material, shoot and edit video, prioritize and write stories based on the details and information obtained
• Use various digital and social platforms to give updates and share news stories with the public
• Review copy and correct errors in content, grammar and punctuation, following prescribed editorial style and formatting guidelines
• Review and evaluate notes taken about event aspects to isolate pertinent facts and details
• Discuss issues with producers and/or news managers to establish priorities or positions
• Check reference materials such as news files or public records to obtain relevant facts
• Revise work to meet editorial approval or to fit time requirements
• Ensure that all content meets company standards for journalistic integrity and production quality
• Interact with viewers/users on social media sites
• Perform special projects and other duties as assigned
• Play an active and visible role in the community
Requirements & Skills:
• Bachelor's degree in Broadcast Journalism, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work-related experience
• Fluency in English required -- Bilingual Spanish a plus
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written with the ability to ad lib when required
• Minimum two years' experience in news reporting (TV, digital, newspaper or radio experience)
• Superior on-air presence
• Proficiency with computers, telephones, copiers, scanners, and other office equipment
• Proficiency with research skills
• Excellent reading, writing, spelling, grammar and organizational skills
• Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously
• Promote teamwork and maintain attitude of cooperation with all station personnel
• Flexibility to work any shift
• Operate newsroom computer systems, editing and camera equipment
• A valid driver's license and a good driving record are required
WORK ENVIRONMENT/MENTAL/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: High stress environment with deadline pressures. Travel will be required on a regular basis. Position requires the transport of equipment weighing up to 60 lbs. Position often requires work in extreme outdoor temperatures.
Provide resume and digital reel when applying.
NOTE: This job description contains the basic requirements for the position and is NOT intended to be a complete list of responsibilities; other duties may be assigned
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gmx1k2-3-87-33-97-42 in your application.