Chief Videojournalist - KOLD
13 News is a Gray Television station and the CBS affiliate in Tucson, Arizona. We're celebrating our 70th year on television! We are the best local television station in Southern Arizona and the #1 digital platform. We are committed to the highest standards of excellence in our local news, entertainment, information, and public service programming. Our crew of dedicated journalists serves all of Southern Arizona. The station is located near Cortaro Farms Road and I-10 in Tucson, Arizona. Tucson is the 64th largest television market in the United States. The spirit of innovation has always been with the station. KOLD became the first television station in Tucson. We produce 62 hours of live, televised newscasts per week between KOLD and our shared services partner, KMSB Fox 11.
If you've never been to Tucson, let us tell you all the things you'll love: Plentiful sunshine, natural beauty, diverse culture, active lifestyles, great food, hundreds of miles of hiking trails, breathtaking views, unforgettable sunsets, challenging biking trails, community events, accessible natural locations for all ages… it would have been quicker for us to just say you'll love it all.
Southern Arizona's most-watched station, KOLD/KMSB, is looking for an experienced chief videojournalist. If you want to lead a talented team and help us learn and grow every day, here's your chance to work with a creative and innovative team eager to improve!
This is a working chief position, so you will manage people and equipment as well as spend time in the field. In addition to shooting and editing news stories, our chief will manage our gear, recruit and train new photojournalists, provide feedback to the videography team, and perform other operational duties as assigned. The ideal candidate will have a positive attitude, a desire to develop the visual storytelling staff, a record of producing award-winning content and teams, and be energized by a fast-paced news environment.
Duties/Responsibilities include (but not limited to):
• Supervise, train photojournalist staff
• Maintain all photography gear, broadband/bonded cellular live devices (LiveU or similar)
• Communicate and coordinate with the engineering department for gear and vehicle maintenance, repair, insurance certification, etc.
• Shoot and edit video and sound for broadcast and publication on all the station's multimedia platforms
• Meet tight deadlines and work well under pressure
• Practice journalistic and ethical integrity
• Gather news independently or as part of a team
• Be at work during big breaking news, weather coverage, and special events
• Drive a company vehicle and/or operate station's broadcasting trucks
• Post content on station's digital platforms and edit digital video
• Travel as assigned for news coverage
• Bachelor's degree in journalism and/or communications, or related field, or equivalent professional experience
• 5+ years' experience as a videographer and video editor (previous experience as a chief photographer preferred)
• Proven experience as a digital video storyteller with strong camera and editing skills
• Experience with Edius and field gear preferred
• Organizational skills for completing multiple projects with varying production timelines
• Excellent communication skills
• Willingness and flexibility to work a variety of shifts including but not limited to mornings, afternoons, late nights, holidays, and weekends
• Ability to stand, sit, lift/carry up to 50 lbs., and work in all outdoor elements as assigned
• Valid driver's license, good driving record
• Have or be willing to work to obtain a drone pilot's license and coach/train the rest of the team to do so as well
• Demo reel
If you feel you're qualified and want to work with a great group of people go to https://gray.tv/careers#currentopenings, you may type in the job title, station call letters, or click on ''apply now'', upload your resume, cover letter, and references (include demo reel)
(Current employees who are interested in this position can apply through the Gray-TV UltiPro self-service portal)
KOLD-TV/Gray Television, Inc. is a drug-free company
Gray Television encourages all new employees to be fully vaccinated against the coronavirus virus prior to or by the first workday.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gk7x2p-3-233-221-90-42 in your application.