KOIN 6 TV/Portland's CW, a Nexstar Media Inc. owned CBS and CW duopoly in Portland, Oregon is looking for Digital Enterprise Reporter/MMJ to join our growing digital team.
The Digital MMJ produces, reports, shoots, writes, voices, edits and feeds content for digital and social platforms in a manner that is clear, engaging and meaningful to news consumers.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Reports news stories for digital broadcast, describing the background and details of events
• Arranges interviews with people who can provide information about stories
• Reviews copy and corrects errors in content, grammar and punctuation, following prescribed editorial style and formatting guidelines
• Reviews and evaluates notes taken about event aspects to isolate pertinent facts and details
• Determines a story's emphasis, length and format, and organizes material accordingly
• Researches and analyzes background information related to news stories to be able to provide complete and accurate information
• Gathers information about events through research, interviews, experience or attendance at political, news, sports, artistic, social or other functions
• Pitches stories to news managers and news producers which are relevant to the local community
• Receives assignments and evaluates leads and tips to develop story ideas
• Discusses issues with producers and/or news managers to establish priorities or positions
• Checks reference materials such as books, news files or public records to obtain relevant facts
• Revises work to meet editorial approval or to fit time requirements
• Shoots and edits news events and news reports
• Produces and presents reports for all platforms
• Ensures that all content meets company standards for journalistic integrity and production quality
• Writes stories for KOIN.com and other multimedia platforms
• Audio production and editorial skills to produce a wide variety of podcasts, a plus
• Interacts with viewers/users on social media sites
• Performs special projects and other duties as assigned
Requirements & Skills:
• Bachelor's degree in Broadcast Journalism, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work-related experience
• Fluency in English
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written with the ability to ad lib when required
• Minimum two years' experience in news reporting (Depending on market size)
• Superior on-air presence
• Proficiency with computers, telephones, copiers, scanners, fax machines and other office equipment
• Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously
• Valid driver's license with a good driving record
• Flexibility to work any shift necessary, including days, nights, overnights, weekends, and holidays.
Education/Experience: Bachelor's degree in Communication/Journalism or related degree required; with at least 3 years' experience writing, producing and editing content on a desktop editing system, with on-camera reporting experience.
Training/Equipment: Operate computers with desktop editing system.
Physical Demands & Work Environment:
The Digital MMJ must be able to sit, conduct telephone conversations, use electronic mail, write letters and memos, conduct face-to-face discussions with individuals or groups, make decisions without supervision, make decisions that impact the results of co-workers, work near others, work outdoors occasionally in all weather conditions, and work indoors in environmentally controlled conditions.
High stress environment with deadline pressures. Position requires the transport of equipment weighing up to 60 lbs. Must be willing to work any and all shifts as necessary, including days, nights, weekends and holidays.
NOTE: This job description contains the basic requirements for the position and is NOT intended to be a complete list of responsibilities; other duties may be assigned.
TO APPLY: Please visit the Nexstar Website at: https://nexstar.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/nexstar to complete the application process. Search: Oregon
Please remember to attach your cover letter, resume and a link to your demo reel (if applicable).
ABOUT US: Broadcasting since 1953, KOIN-TV is Portland's CBS affiliate, providing exceptional local news content on air and online (koin.com), CBS Network programming and syndicated entertainment to viewers across Oregon and SW Washington. KOIN News is Watching Out for You with 51 hours of local news broadcasts each week, featuring award-winning, in-depth investigations, news, weather, traffic, KOIN News AM-Extra and Game-On! KOIN-TV is a Nexstar Inc. television station serving Oregon and SW Washington from its studios in downtown Portland, OR. Nexstar is the largest local television broadcast and digital media company in the nation with a portfolio of 197 full power owned or serviced stations in 115 markets reaching approximately 63% of US television households. Today, as one of the most powerful and trusted voices in America, Nexstar remains true to its mission to uphold the public interest principles of localism, diversity and trustworthy, unbiased broadcast journalism. At the same time, the company continues to simultaneously raise its commitment to support the evolving needs and interests of the local viewers, hometown businesses and community organizations that it proudly serves each day.
KOIN is an equal opportunity employer that seeks diversity in our workforce. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
KOIN values the contribution of its employees. We recognize their efforts by offering a competitive compensation plan and an array of benefits, including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401(K), and more. We are committed to a drug and alcohol-free workplace. Any job offer is conditional upon satisfactorily completing a background and DMV check.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d91p5m-3-238-204-31-42 in your application.