KMBC/KCWE, the Hearst owned ABC/CW affiliate in Kansas City, has an opening for a Full-Time News Photographer to join our award-winning staff. We are looking for a journalist who loves to tell the story with the camera. The winning candidate goes beyond the 5 W's to find the characters, emotion, and moments that make a story compelling.
Our new team member also understands the importance of breaking news and responds to it with the urgency required. We don't share gear, so you'll be a good steward of your Sony PXW-320X and related equipment. Your assigned laptop is loaded with Adobe Premiere and configured to upload stories directly to our servers via BitCentral. Editing a story is not just pushing buttons.
Our ideal candidate can make a good story better with creative editing. We utilize ENG, SNG, and TVU for live sources, so a strong understanding of those operations is preferred. Exceptional time-management abilities, effective communication, and organizational skills are critical. Contributions to our digital platforms is an expectation. If you're a team player with a great work ethic and a passion for visual storytelling, we'd like you to join our newsroom!
• Shoot and edit assigned stories for broadcast and on-line postings.
• Collaborate with the assignment desk and reporters to cover daily stories.
• Gather video and still pictures for digital platforms.
• Work with reporters and producers to ensure the best content and facts are gathered.
• Maintain assigned equipment and report needs for repair or scheduled maintenance.
• Assist with show editing as needed .
• Must have computer and non-linear editing software experience. (Adobe Premiere Preferred)
• Previous newsroom experience preferred.
• Related military experience will be considered.
• Can organize and prioritize.
• Must be a self-starter.
• Ability to work effectively while under deadline.
• Efficient operation of ENG trucks and bonded cellular technology (TVU)
• Can work in varied weather conditions.
• Must have a valid driver's license and good driving record.
• Can carry up to 50 pounds of equipment on a regular basis.
• Related experience and/or training considered as well as a combination of education and experience.
• Equivalent military training from Defense Information School (DINFOS) and associated experience will be considered.
As part of its continued efforts to maintain a safe workplace for employees, Hearst Television requires that all newly hired employees be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus by the first day of employment as a condition of employment, to the extent permitted by applicable law. HTV will consider requests for reasonable accommodations in accordance with applicable legal requirements.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-ro5oj3-3-238-90-95-42 in your application.