Assignment Desk / Producer - KHNL
ASSIGNMENT DESK/PRODUCER (W/END) - KHNL
About Hawaii News Now: KGMB (CBS), KHNL (NBC) and K5 collectively make up Hawaii News Now, the state's dominant multimedia news organization with the largest digital news footprint in the islands. HNN's parent company is Gray TV, a leading digital media and broadcasting company. Located in beautiful Honolulu, Hawaii, Hawaii News Now also provides diverse sub-channels such as Telemundo, Antenna TV, Grit TV, This TV, Escape and Bounce TV.
Hawaii News Now has an immediate opening for a highly creative and motivated journalist to work the Weekend Assignment Desk for our top rated newscast. This position requires an aggressive decision-maker on coverage, content while feeding our multi digital and on air platforms with news while maintaining brand dominance. Must be able to spot compelling news stories, execute breaking news while performing well under pressure & tight deadlines. Previous news experience preferred, but not necessary.
Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
1. Plan, execute and manage news coverage and news crews for weekend shows.
2. Write certain vo's and vo-sot's to help fill newscast. This includes, but not limited to and quick web updates if needed.
3. Learn & get proficient with editing simple vo's and vo-sot's for the shows if needed.
4. Work with reporters and news anchor to conceptualize, coordinate and execute story coverage.
5. Train to fill in as a week-day Assignment Desk Editor when needed.
6. Learn and train to be a back-up news producer if needed.
7. Perform other duties as needed and directed by News Management.
1. Strong news judgment and ethics are a must.
2. Familiarity with the use of phone calls, emails, different types of social media as a news gathering tool.
3. Must keep up with current events.
4. Excellent writing, grammar and copy-editing skills preferred.
5. Bachelor's degree in Journalism or equivalent preferred
6. Previous experience in a newsroom preferred.
If you feel you're qualified and want to work with a great group of people go to https://gray.tv/careers#currentopenings, you may type in the job title, station call letters, or click on ''apply now'', upload your resume, cover letter and references
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gxq1vo-34-204-174-110-42 in your application.
Gray Television supports local community interests by providing quality television broadcasting and exceptional service in each market we serve. Gray owns and/or operates television stations and leading digital properties in 93 television markets including the first or second highest rated television station in 85 markets. We are an unmatched broadcast pioneer that keeps getting bigger and better.