KGNS TV's market dominance begins with a prime offering of NBC, CBS, ABC, CW and Telemundo affiliations; and a delivery daily newscasts across multiple broadcasts and digital streams including desktop and mobile. KGNS TV, the areas' leading news broadcaster is located in the Laredo, Texas Metropolitan area and serves a combined population of over 790,000 (seven hundred ninety thousand) on the South Texas and US/Mexico border. The area consisting of Webb, Zapata, Dimmit, LaSalle, Maverick, Zavala, Frio, Duval and Jim Hogg counties; and Nuevo Laredo, Tamaulipas, Mexico is geographically poised for success between two nations. A thriving and dynamic area for all things news, the Laredo Metro area houses a diverse economy that is often immune to economic anomalies experienced by the rest of the country. Touted the number 1 (one) inland port on the US/Mexico border and diverse in her economy, whether it be ranching, agriculture, international trade, healthcare, education, retail, manufacturing or oil/gas, Laredo and our sister cities offer a wide range of industries to foster a consistently healthy economy. Laredo's population is a diverse blend of ethnicities with a median age of 27 (twenty seven). Her young and vibrant energy lends itself to a history that offers entertainment, a wide array of eateries and a cultural immersion in a unique experience that can only be held by the romance of this US / Mexico border culture.
A home to many successful broadcasters, KGNS TV has a reputation of preparing reporters, producers, and anchors for their next move, which includes moves to larger metro markets. On the sales and marketing side, training integrated marketing techniques is one of the reasons our team continues to thrive. The KGNS TV family is one where integrity, ethics, and personal growth are fostered. After all, it's always sunny in Laredo, Texas.
KGNS is looking for a Meteorologist to join our weather team. The successful candidate will present the weather forecast for our daily 1 ½ -hour morning newscast plus our ½ hour noon show and also fill in where needed.
The primary job duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
KGNS is a great station to develop your skills for a successful television career. A large percentage of our alumni have gone on to extremely prosperous careers in larger markets due to the training and hands on work they receive when they start at KGNS.
- Produce graphics and maps, and report live during weather events as well as issue warnings and alerts.
- Must be able to utilize social media during severe weather, as well as write weather stories.
- Forecasting, producing and presenting clear and concise weather casts
- Developing content and graphics for on-air, web and social media.
- Making public appearances on behalf of the station.
- Work with producers to determine relevant weather content in breaking and everyday situations.
- Must have excellent time management skills.
As a Meteorologist, you will be responsible for the content of the weather cast on-air and on our digital platforms. The successful candidate will also be asked to produce ''weather-related'' stories a few times a year or during special severe weather events.
- A degree in meteorology is required.
- College graduates will be considered with a strong demo reel and internship experience.
- Being bi-lingual is encouraged but not necessary.
- AMS or NWA seal isn't required, it is preferred.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-g3v185-3-236-117-38-42 in your application.