Multimedia Journalist Reporter
KETK and KFXK, the NBC-FOX stations in Tyler, Texas, are seeking a Weekend Meteorologist who will also perform MMJ duties, including live shots and packages. You should be passionate about all kinds of weather, especially severe and extreme conditions. You should also be excited about the future of digital content, especially video, and be proficient at social media.
• Produces and presents weather reports for all platforms.
• Ensures all weather content meets company standards for journalistic integrity and production quality.
• Writes and delivers weather stories in a clear, concise and creative manner.
• Assists in writing, copy editing, researching and coordinating weather programming and other content.
• Responds to breaking and/or severe weather events and other urgent situations as required.
• Works closely with the weather team to develop comprehensive weather coverage.
• Participates in promotional activities, including public appearances.
• Performs special projects and other duties as assigned.
• Writes web stories detailing the local forecast on a daily basis.
• Interacts with viewers and users on social media.
• Gathers video elements and contributes to news coverage using ENG gear or mobile device; this includes both weather and non-weather-related content for digital and broadcast platforms.
• Understanding of current events (beyond weather) that affect the communities we cover.
• Requirements & Skills:
• Bachelor's degree in Meteorology, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work-related experience.
• Fluency in English.
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written with the ability to ad lib when required.
• Prior experience weather and/or news reporting or anchoring. (College and internships are acceptable).
• Engaging on-air presence.
• Proficiency with current digital and broadcast technology, including ENPS, Content Management Systems, field gear including TVU live backpacks and other equipment.
• Knowledge of current broadcast and digital weather systems, such as Baron and WSI (The Weather Company) technology.
• Understanding of contemporary storytelling techniques for broadcast and digital content.
• Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
• Ability to effectively listen to fully understand problems and communicate with a team to shape a solution.
• Strong understanding of the field of meteorology and a proven track record of forecasting.
• Valid driver's license with a good driving record.
• Flexibility to work any shift; the weekend meteorologist fills-in for morning and evening meteorologists, so you must be ready, willing and able to adjust your schedule often
• EEO Statement:
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled
Nexstar Media Group is America’s largest local television and media company with 196 full power stations (including partner stations) in 114 markets addressing nearly 63% of US television households and a growing digital media operation.