KCCI 8 News is looking for a Digital Editor who will be responsible for creating content for its website, mobile and social media platforms. The successful candidate will be an excellent storyteller and multi-tasker who can edit and create content facing intense competition under constant deadline pressure. The candidate must have the ability to remain calm and level-headed but react aggressively and decisively during breaking news situations with or without a manager present.
• Write/edit and publish breaking news, daily news, sports, weather, and feature stories for the station's website, mobile app, and social media platforms
• Curate the KCCI.com homepage and app regularly throughout shifts
• Write sharp, compelling headlines and push alerts with accuracy
• Manage live streams of newscasts and breaking news on the website and on social media
• Regularly create social content, including graphics and videos, and post to the station's Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram platforms
• Keep tabs on the pulse of the social media landscape in central Iowa
• Have a passion for social media engagement, site traffic analytics, and taking ownership in helping meet the station's digital KPI goals
• Add to the digital desk's long-term planning and strategic vision
• Respond positively to feedback and direction from all newsroom and station managers
• Maintain a positive work environment through active team participation and cooperation with coworkers in all departments and corporate teams
• In-person attendance is requires
• Experience as a writer or editor for a newspaper or news website
• Publishing experience within a content management system
• Familiarity with local newsgathering workflow and terminology, Google Analytics, Parsley, Social News Desk, Braze, Restream, OBS, Crowdtangle, ENPS, and other third-party digital services.
• 1-3 years of professional newsroom experience. Recent college graduates with extensive journalistic internships and campus media involvement may be considered.
• Strong news and editorial judgment, and able to make decisions under pressure and to change footing when news breaks.
• Attention to detail, as well as a sense for balance, diversity, and tone of the stories on our platforms.
• Ability to edit copy for AP Style
• Know what drives digital audiences to click on stories and watch videos on desktop and mobile.
• Understanding of SEO best practices, excellent AP knowledge, and headline writing skills.
• Strong understanding of social media best practices.
• Flexibility to work different shifts, holidays, etc. on short notice to cover a 24-hour news cycle.
• Ability to work well in a multi-tasking environment with frequent interruptions, while paying close attention to details.
• Proficiency in Photoshop and Premiere
• This position is fully onsite at the television station.
• Related experience and/or training considered as well as a combination of education and experience.
• Hearst Television is a proud supporter of military veterans. Defense Information School (DINFOS) or other related military training and experience will be considered.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gq4y39-3-227-251-94-42 in your application.