Assistant News Director - KBJR
Duluth is located on Lake Superior, the greatest of the Great Lakes. If you are an outdoor enthusiast, then you can consider Duluth paradise. If you prefer the offerings of the big city life, the Twin Cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul are a short drive down I-35. Our building, office space and studios are state of the art. Located in Canal Park, considered one of Minnesota's top tourist destinations. We have views of Lake Superior and the Hillside of Downtown Duluth. We are walking distance to the Lakewalk, Aerial Lift Bridge and many fine restaurants, shops, and clubs.
KBJR in Duluth, MN is looking for an Assistant News Director. This position is responsible or assisting with leading the News Department and delivering top notch quality to our viewer.
Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Ability to lead and train news producers to create award winning newscasts
- Daily supervising content for clarity, fact-checking, and creativity.
- Must review scripts with reporters and producers, while coaching and encouraging to improve product.
- Assist with assignments, guiding reporters on stories and pitching story ideas daily.
- Keep organized records of news content daily.
- Able to make quick decisions and handle breaking news calmly and as a team leader.
- Must be able to multi-task, and oversee news on numerous platforms, including on air, digital, social, and OTT.
- Must be a team player who takes direction from News Director and is able to fill in in the absence of the News Director, maintaining a positive newsroom culture.
- Perform other reasonable duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Minimum 3 experience
- Skilled at working social media in conjunction with the daily news product to boost audience involvement.
- Strong copy-editing skills and news judgment, with working knowledge of journalism ethics, libel, and copyright laws.
- Strong planning and organizational skills are a must.
- Solid understanding of AP style writing.
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, communications, or related field.
- Proven leadership ability.
- Must be willing to work flexible hours, especially during breaking news, and fill in for producers when necessary.
- Valid Driver's License and clean driving record.
Qualified, interested applicants may go to https://gray.tv/careers#currentopenings, you may type in the job title, station call letters, or click on ''apply now'', upload your resume, cover letter and references
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-g34nox-44-201-96-43-42 in your application.