KATU/KUNP is seeking an aggressive, energetic and creative full-time News Assignment Editor! We are looking for an experienced assignment editor who know how to make contacts, generate story ideas, and react decisively to breaking news. Candidates must have strong logistical skills and the ability to move crews strategically. We need someone with strong communication skills who can coordinate coverage and problem solve unforeseen obstacles. This person must be able to perform calmly and communicate effectively under pressure. Ideal candidates will be familiar with the Portland, Oregon DMA.
Skills and Experience:
• Assign and track news crews
• Identify and develop daily content
• Write and post content to station website and social media sites
• Compelling and accurate writing
• Listen to scanners and react to breaking news, make beat checks, monitor web sites and social media, react to developing news
• Develop and maintain contacts and sources to enterprise story ideas
• Research and set up stories for field crews
• Conduct remote (Zoom, Teams, Skype) interviews to generate content
• Listen for and respond to breaking news
• Assisting in the efficient operations of the assignment desk
Requirements and Qualifications:
• Minimum of 2 years of assignment desk experience
• Commitment to journalistic standards of ethics and accuracy
• Ability to communicate effectively
• Basic computer knowledge/word processing skills
• General knowledge and interest in local, national and world news
• Ability to work well under pressure and meet deadlines
• Proficiency with Facebook, Twitter and emerging social media platforms
• Bachelor's degree with a major in journalism is also preferred
Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc. is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and Drug Free Workplace!
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-r712n8-3-236-170-171-42 in your application.