NEWS PRODUCER/REPORTER (P/T) - KALB
KALB-TV is the No. 1 television station in the region of Central Louisiana. Our market comprises four primary parishes (counties), including Rapides, Avoyelles, Vernon, and Grant. We are located in Alexandria, Louisiana, a community of nearly 50,000 people right in the heart of the state. Across the Red River is the community of Pineville, which boasts an additional 15,000. Alexandria may be market 179, but there is nothing small about our approach to news. KALB-TV includes the traditional NBC (News Channel 5) that has dominated the market for nearly 60 years, CBS-2, and the CW Cenla - Cenla, by the way, is short for Central Louisiana. Each weekday, KALB produces 6 ½ hours of news, and each newscast is the dominant No. 1 in its time slot. Our team is comprised of several veterans who have worked in this market for many years as well as those first entering the business. We are proud of our track record of talent that has gone on to larger markets, especially those who have stayed in Gray Television.
If you would like to see more about KALB and the Alexandria market, we have produced this video for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnVqIg37mqE
KALB-TV is looking for someone who loves journalism to become part of our news team as a part time producer and reporter. This job is ideal for a college student, looking to get experience in the news field.
This is a unique position that will allow you to learn both about the reporting and producing sides of news.
AS A REPORTER:
- In this position, you will be assigned and develop news stories, that will be completed in a quality and professional manner.
- This work will include the producing of news packages, VOs, VOSOTs, and corresponding content for social media and our website
- It will involve the development of live on-air skills, including live reports
- You will work with senior newsroom employees to learn about the Alexandria market, as well as news issues within the state of Louisiana
AS A PRODUCER:
- Compiling stories into rundowns for our daily or nightly newscasts
- Working with anchors to determine which stories will appear in newscasts
- Culling stories from AP wire, as well as VOD systems for NBC, CBS, and CNN
- Rewriting lead-ins to stories
- Inputting graphics and other story information
- Pulling and editing video or photographs
Please note - the primary job duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to the information listed above
- Have or are working toward a bachelor's degree in journalism or communications preferred, although similar degrees will be considered
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively
- Ability to edit video (or be trained) on non-linear systems such as Edius
- Knowledge of local, state and national current events, newsmakers, and issues
- Effective on-air performance and strong news judgment
- Ability to conduct in-depth research and pursue stories effectively
- Good news writing and copy-editing ability for all platforms including social media
- Knowledge of libel laws and ethical foundations of journalism
- Maintain professional personal appearance as defined by KALB-TV management
- Ability to work cooperatively with others to create a sense of teamwork in the presentation of news and other programming
- Ability to think quickly and respond appropriately in high pressure situations
- Valid driver's license with good driving record
- Ability to lift, carry, and maneuver up to 20 pounds
- Flexibility to work any assigned shift
If you feel you're qualified and want to work with a great group of people go to https://gray.tv/careers#currentopenings, you may type in the job title, station call letters, or click on ''apply now'', upload your resume, cover letter, and references
(Current employees who are interested in this position can apply through the Gray-TV UltiPro self-service portal)
KALB-TV/Gray Television, Inc. is a drug-free company
Gray Television encourages all new employees to be fully vaccinated against the coronavirus virus prior to or by the first workday.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-g3wk9n-3-237-31-191-42 in your application.