- Full Time
Job DescriptionAbout KALB:
KALB-TV is the No. 1 television station in the region of Central Louisiana. Our market comprises four primary parishes (counties), including Rapides, Avoyelles, Vernon, and Grant. We are located in Alexandria, Louisiana, a community of nearly 50,000 people right in the heart of the state. Across the Red River is the community of Pineville, which boasts an additional 15,000. Alexandria may be market 179, but there is nothing small about our approach to news. KALB-TV includes the traditional NBC (News Channel 5) that has dominated the market for nearly 60 years, CBS-2, and the CW Cenla - Cenla, by the way, is short for Central Louisiana. Each weekday, KALB produces 6 ½ hours of news, and each newscast is the dominant No. 1 in its time slot. Our team is comprised of several veterans who have worked in this market for many years as well as those first entering the business. We are proud of our track record of talent that has gone on to larger markets, especially those who have stayed in Gray Television.
If you would like to see more about KALB and the Alexandria market, we have produced this video for you:
KALB-TV in Alexandria, Louisiana is looking for a hard-working, dedicated broadcast journalist to work as an evening news anchor for our award-winning television station. If you love to tell the news, serve as a newsroom leader and do your own enterprise reporting, this will be a great opportunity for you.
The primary job duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Serving as one of the main anchors for our evening newscasts, which include broadcasts at 4 p.m., 5 p.m., 6 p.m., 6:30 p.m. and 10 p.m.
- Bring leadership and mentoring to our younger newsroom staff members.
- Assisting show producers with preparation of content for the afternoon/evening newscasts.
- Presenting quality on-air work with professionalism and good energy.
-Developing chemistry and rapport with your co-anchors, the First Alert Storm Team and sports anchors.
- Developing your own ''franchise'' reports to complement your anchor work.
- Contributing daily reporting content, including packages or VOSOTs.
- Contributing daily web or social media content.
- Conducting yourself in a professional manner in the community in a way that reflects the professionalism and journalistic standards of KALB-TV.
- Becoming proficient at Edius, our news editing system, and ENPS, our rundown creator.
- Learning to use our web content management system and being trained to post to social media.
- Staying current on local, state and national news issues; Researching and understanding those issues as well as the people involved in them, such as elected officials.
- Participate in promotional activities including public appearances.
- Participate in special projects and perform other duties as assigned.
- Respond to breaking news and other urgent newsroom situations as required.
- Be prepared to work extended and odd hours, especially during hurricane season.
- Be open to working weekends/holidays as needed.
- Participate in coaching and training.
- Bachelor's degree in journalism or communications preferred, although similar degrees will be considered.
-Minimum two years anchor experience.
- Ability to work independently as a multi-media journalist.
- Ability to edit on non-linear systems such as Edius
- Strong news judgment
- Knowledge of local, state and national current events, newsmakers, and issues
- Ability to conduct in-depth research and pursue investigative stories effectively
- Good newswriting and copy editing ability for all platforms including social media
- Knowledge of libel laws and ethical foundations of journalism
- Maintain professional personal appearance as defined by KALB-TV management
- Ability to work cooperatively with others to create a sense of teamwork in the presentation of news and other programming
- Ability to conduct probing, in-depth and engaging interviews
- Knowledge of news production techniques and demonstrated ability to develop engaging presentation
- Ability to think quickly and respond appropriately in high pressure situations
- Valid drivers license with good driving record is a MUST
- Ability to lift, carry and maneuver up to 20 lbs.
- Ability to work in all weather conditions
- Flexibility to work any assigned shift.
Interested applicants can, go to https://gray.tv/careers#currentopenings, you may type in the job title, station call letters, or click on ''apply now'', we encourage you to upload your resume and cover letter
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d55wx1-3-215-177-171-42 in your application.
Find More Jobs Like This
Gray Television supports local community interests by providing quality television broadcasting and exceptional service in each market we serve. Gray owns and/or operates television stations and leading digital properties in 93 television markets including the first or second highest rated television station in 85 markets. We are an unmatched broadcast pioneer that keeps getting bigger and better.