Hearst Television is seeking a self-motivated, innovative, and thoughtful Investigative Producer to lead the National Investigative team based in Washington, DC. You will be focused on fact-based journalism that captures the deeper context on big stories and relevant topics while incorporating transparency as part of the reporting. You must have a deep understanding of investigative journalism and its critical role in effecting change and impacting lives. The producer works collaboratively with the investigative team, our Washington News Bureau, local stations, the national digital team, and other Hearst divisions to produce and share content in different formats across various platforms. This team has the unique responsibility of researching, developing, and producing original stories of national relevance while highlighting and delivering the local impact across our 27 markets. The Investigative Producer reports to Director, Special Projects and Group Initiatives.
• Develop story ideas, research topics, verify and fact-check information, develop sources, and enhance storytelling
• Be aggressive in discovering, gathering, and reporting information from the earliest stages of a developing story
• Lead editorial meetings and the day-to-day mission and actions of the team
• Navigate public records and databases and file public records requests
• Fact-checking of political claims, viral social media posts, and misinformation
• Manage multiple storytelling projects simultaneously while ensuring quality, ethics, and thoughtful decision making
• Gather, clean, and analyze data to incorporate in stories
• Conceptualize experiential content and digital elements from data to support stories and online content
• Coordinate and oversee logistics for interviews, video shoots, and production schedules
• Collaborate on writing and production of stories for television and other formats, including print
• Maintain and manage research and information, records requests, legal documents, and video files
• Effectively communicate and work seamlessly with all team members and managers, creative and digital teams, legal, and other Hearst divisions to complete projects and elevate content
• Works under pressure, make quick decisions, and organize and prioritize multiple projects at once
• Experience in investigative journalism and dynamic storytelling and writing
• Experience as a team leader who can foster a collaborative an inclusive environment
• Experience producing 'rolling investigations' and building a prominent investigative story over time
• Proficient in data journalism; Working knowledge of R or Python
• Assist with carrying equipment for interviews and shoots
• Must have a valid driver's license and a near-perfect driving record
• Related military experience will be considered
At Hearst Television we tell stories every day. Stories about people of all cultures, backgrounds, perspectives, and identities. That's why, behind the scenes, we believe in being an organization as diverse and varied as the audience we reach, ensuring that the content we create is more compassionate, and more representative of the communities we serve.
Hearst's benefit programs are modern, flexible and designed to focus on you. As a Hearst employee, you and your spouse or partner or dependents would have access to the following benefits.
• Medical | Dental | Vision
• 401(k) matching
• Emotional Wellness Support
• Paid Time Off
• Paid Parental Leave
• LGBTQ+ Health Services
• Additional benefits to meet your and your family's needs
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rz2e8q-3-238-180-174-42 in your application.