Hearst Television is seeking a digital news Jack or Jill of all trades to join the Central Content team as Copy Editor/National Desk curator.
Primary duties for the position include proofreading, editing, reviewing and publishing digital content across more than two dozen local Hearst TV stations' websites and apps. The copy editor also will work with the Digital News teams to create accurate and engaging content.
The ideal candidate is comfortable working in a fast-paced environment and is passionate about news, grammar, punctuation and syntax. This position is based in Pittsburgh, Sacramento or New York and will report to the Central Content team's editorial manager. Applicants should include a cover letter when applying.
• Copy edit following AP style, in-house style and grammar
• Ability to edit, write and rewrite content for news clarity, structure and tone
• Edit and write headlines, social copy and associated digital assets
• Use news judgment to prioritize copy edit requests, manage multiple projects and consistently meet deadlines
• Coordinate with local stations and existing digital teams to meet their needs
• Ensure ethical journalistic standards
• Collaborate with Digital News teams to offer fresh ideas relevant to audiences
• Produce trending and relevant content sourced through and attributed to respected news organizations and/or social media platforms as needed
• Respond to breaking news quickly and accurately, with superior news judgment to determine when to send push notifications and post breaking content to social platforms
• Manage live video streams, making them available to HTV stations both online, on mobile and on social media
The ideal candidate has:
• A passion for news, grammar, words, and the order of words
• At least 1-3 years of relevant experience
• Experience in digital news and familiarity with social platforms
• Understanding of journalism ethics
• The ability to stay calm and focused in high-stress situations
• A positive attitude and clear communication style, especially for remote and digital work
• Bilingual is a plus
• Bachelor's degree in journalism, English, communications or related field
The estimated base salary range for this role is between $42,000 and $46,000. The actual base pay offered is dependent upon many factors, such as transferable skills, work experience, business needs, market demands and conditions, including geographic location where the work will be performed, and other factors permitted by law. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rb3746-44-213-63-130-42 in your application.