Hearst Television's Alert Desk team is looking to hire a self-motivated curator who will be responsible for reviewing traffic coming from police, fire and communications personnel to enhance our digital offerings under deadline. The position is in-person and based in the WLWT News 5 newsroom in Cincinnati, Ohio.
Candidates should have newsroom experience and the ability to write clearly and accurately in journalistic style. The ideal candidate will have previous digital experience in a college newsroom or at an established media company, be a multi-tasker who can communicate and write effectively, as well as handle the fast pace of a newsroom and breaking news under pressure and accurately.
• Monitor multiple public safety scanner feeds for stories of interest and breaking news
• Verify information heard on scanners and inform newsroom of information as necessary
• Write and send hyper-local news stories and push notifications to digital audiences
• Work collaboratively with assignment desk editors, digital editors and news managers to tell multi-platform stories that will engage viewers
• Other duties as required
• Familiar with local news gathering techniques, technology and terminology
• Experience writing and editing in AP Style at a newspaper, news website or news magazine
• Demonstrated success working with web-based CMS programs such as Wordpress or Wix
• Understanding of analytics and how to use them to implement learnings for improved results
• Strong news and editorial judgment
• Polite and professional when dealing with the public
• Organized and able to multitask
• Excellent communication skills
• Previous digital writing/editing experience preferred
• Ability to remain calm and level-headed during breaking news situations
• Work flexible hours which will include nights and weekends
• Related experience and/or training considered as well as a combination of education and experience.
• Military experience is a plus
As part of its continued efforts to maintain a safe workplace for employees, Hearst Television requires that all newly hired employees be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus by the first day of employment as a condition of employment, to the extent permitted by applicable law. HTV will consider requests for reasonable accommodations in accordance with applicable legal requirements.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d9eon9-18-208-132-74-42 in your application.