WVLT is located in beautiful Knoxville, Tennessee. We produce 58 hours of local news per week on our CBS and CW stations. At the door step of the Smoky Mountains and on the banks of the Tennessee River, Knoxville is the 62nd largest television market in the country. In addition to being home to the University of Tennessee's flagship campus, Knoxville sports a walkable downtown, sophisticated mix of culture and cuisine, a diverse and robust employment sector, advanced medical care, and amenities found in big cities yet maintains a small town feel.
The ideal candidate must be able to report on and deliver daily news content on several platforms, including live TV, internet, digital streaming, social media, and mobile. Successful applicants must have a terrific grasp of current events, are innately curious about the community where they live, strong organizational skills and ability to shoot and edit your own video. You must embrace the importance of a multi-platform newsroom, and be a dynamic reporter, pitch enterprise stories daily, have smart news judgment, excellent technical skills and the ability to work independently and with others on deadline.
Duties/Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Deliver on-air news events in an engaging, exciting, and accurate manner
- Use editorial judgment to help determine content
- Work with producer and team to create unique, fast-paced newscasts
- Use social media to determine content of newscasts and highlight big social stories
- Use creative production techniques such as graphics and new forms of media (viewer pictures, webcam interviews, etc.) to enhance newscasts and stories
- Write for the web and post daily on all digital platforms including social media and attaching images and streaming video
- Interview news subjects and research for facts and credibility
- Perform other tasks as required by supervisor or executive producer
- Deliver unscripted breaking news coverage and special event coverage to the community at large
- Receive assignments and evaluate leads and tips in order to develop story ideas
- Covers news in the field to generate, produce and deliver high profile special reports
- Edit video for broadcasts and the web
- Participate in community events and makes public appearances on behalf of the station as assigned
• At least 2 years of experience in a television and/or digital newsroom. College degree preferred. - Writes, edits, shoots stories for on-air and digital platforms. - Understands TN laws regarding open records, recorded interviews, and courts. - Builds deep and credible sources across a variety of fields. We encourage anyone with experience in newspapers, digital/online outlets or radio to apply
Come join our dynamic news team, go to https://gray.tv/careers#currentopenings, you may type in the job title, station call letters, or click on ''apply now'', upload your resume, cover letter and references
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gxz2kq-3-236-209-138-42 in your application.