NEWS PRODUCER (POLITICAL)
- DC BUREAU
About DC Bureau:
The Gray Television Washington News Bureau's focus is hyper-local coverage of Washington news for our TV stations. We work closely with the stations to report on issues directly affecting viewers in their markets. Our primary job is to speak with senators and congressmen about local and national issues and to hold them accountable. Our team has built strong contacts with these lawmakers. Members of Congress know when they talk to Gray Television reporters, they have a direct line of communication with their constituents. We also provide our stations coverage of local people who visit Washington - whether it's a businessperson testifying at a congressional hearing or a local veteran coming to visit our national memorials.
WATCH OUR RECRUITMENT VIDEO HERE: Link - https://youtu.be/PDwwtGXwc9E
Gray Television is looking for an experienced political producer in its Washington, DC bureau to find, research, and report on stories and events of interest to the local communities served by Gray's stations. The position requires a self-starter who can and will work directly with the Washington Bureau Chief and reporting team to make national stories locally relevant and bring local issues to the national spotlight. The individual must have experience reporting political news from a statehouse or Capitol Hill and have a working knowledge and interest in Capitol Hill, politics, and campaigns. This position is part assignment editor, part off-air reporter, part field producer, and part copy editor. This is an OFF-AIR position.
The successful candidate will be responsible for (but not limited to) the following:
- Working with Washington Bureau Chief and reporting team to develop, gather, execute, and distribute stories
- Using editorial judgment to help determine content of news product
- Pitching and researching stories
- Conducting interviews with a camera and/or video conference software
- Shooting video
- Writing TV copy
- Editing video using Adobe Premiere
- Assisting reporters in setting up live shots with a TVU
- Coordinating with stations to gather and distribute content
- Using creative production techniques such as graphics and new forms of media (viewer pictures, webcam interviews, etc.) to enhance stories
- Posting stories and video online and on social media
- Setting up studio and field equipment
- Reviewing reporters' story pitches
- Assigning reporters stories
- Copy editing scripts
- Reviewing final stories before they are distributed
- Building contacts on Capitol Hill and around Washington
- Filing and organizing completed stories in archive
- Performing other tasks as required by bureau chief or executive producer
- At least 5 years of experience in a commercial newsroom
- At least 3 years of experience covering politics in a statehouse or at the US Capitol
- BS/BA in journalism or communications
- Ability to shoot, write and edit
- Excellent knowledge of non-linear editing using Adobe Premiere
- Knowledge of TVU live technology
- Knowledge of field and studio equipment
- Experience with posting stories to news websites and social media
- Knowledge of local news and newscast production
- Working knowledge and interest in Capitol Hill, politics, and campaigns
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Excellent time management skills
- Computer literacy
- Schedule flexibility
- A valid driver's license and a good driving record
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Willingness and ability to travel to local markets and for stories
*A link to candidate's reel is required and should be included in the application. Please send a political producing reel.
If you feel you're qualified and want to work with a great group of people go to https://gray.tv/careers#currentopening, you may type in the job title, station call letters, or click on ''apply now''
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gxn8x4-3-238-95-208-42 in your application.