- Full Time
- Mid (2-5 years) Experience
WTVG-13 is the ABC affiliate in Toledo, OH. We deliver 43 hours of live local news, weather and sports every week and deliver content on a 24/7 basis on our digital platforms. Since 1948, generations of families in Northwest Ohio and Southeast Michigan have grown up counting on WTVG to be their most trusted source for local news, weather, and sports. With our seasoned team of anchors and reporters there is a culture within our walls that recognizes the responsibility we carry, to continue what was started over seventy-four years ago. We take pride in our ratings, our content, and our #1 news status. We have an outstanding reputation throughout the business community and strong connections with community leaders. As part of the Gray Television family, WTVG has best-in-class news training to support our newsroom. WTVG is the ideal location, close to several large metropolitan areas and is home to several parks, first-rate education, sports, arts, and entertainment.
WTVG wants a News Director who will lead, mentor, and develop the next generation of journalists. We are looking for a dynamic news professional who excels with high expectations, passion, and dedication. The News Director will lead and manage news coverage for WTVG and our powerful group of digital and social platforms.
Duties/Responsibilities include (but not limited to):
* Work with Management team including the Assistant News Director, Executive Producers, and Digital Content Manager to initiate and manage well branded content
* Make editorial decisions on content
* Effectively communicate goals and plans for the newsroom and ensure those plans are carried out by all staff members
* Oversee, with the help of News Management, all Anchors/Reporters, MMJ's, Producers, as well as Assignment Editors/Digital Content Producers on story enterprise, development and generate strong branded content.
* Execute Breaking News and Severe Weather coverage plans
* Plan and execute ''Big Story'' coverage
* Hold all staff members accountable daily
* Conduct regular feedback sessions with all employees
* Participate in editorial and planning meetings
* Monitor newscasts and digital news coverage to ensure staff is meeting standards
* Maintain a high level of confidentiality
* Protect and defend journalistic integrity of the news product
* Ensure the news team follows best practices on all platforms
* Execute news strategies developed by news and station management
* Work well with all station departments/managers
* We are looking for Experience. 5 plus years in News Management a plus.
* Creativity and passion for news, leadership in teaching and coaching team members
* Ability to multi-task in high stress situations
* Bachelor's degree in Journalism preferred
* Knowledge and understanding in using various digital and social platforms
* Strong management, communication and people skills required to supervise and interact daily with staff and the community
* Proven leadership ability
* Exceptional organizational skills
* Enjoy a fast-paced environment with a desire to win
Qualified, interested applicants can, go to https://gray.tv/careers#currentopenings, you may type in the job title, station call letters, or click on ''apply now'', upload your cover letter, resume, and references
WTVG-TV/Gray Television Group, Inc. is a drug-free company
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gxz0po-3-239-117-1-42 in your application.
Gray Television supports local community interests by providing quality television broadcasting and exceptional service in each market we serve. Gray owns and/or operates television stations and leading digital properties in 93 television markets including the first or second highest rated television station in 85 markets. We are an unmatched broadcast pioneer that keeps getting bigger and better.