Anchor / MMJ
News Director - Wdtv
WDTV (CBS), WVFX (FOX), EVFX (CW), and EDTV (MeTV) combine to provide local news and weather to all of North Central West Virginia. CBS and FOX combine to carry a predominant number of games for the local favorite Pittsburgh Steelers and FOX's Big 12 affiliation brings us our treasured WVU football games. We are the largest TV source for local news and entertainment for our local 12 county area. Celebrating decades of service and as a local news leader, WDTV features a recently upgraded news studio and a news team dedicated to local news. We pride ourselves on breaking news and weather alerts, and digging deep into the issues affecting our communities. We're dedicated to informing the public, utilizing television, social media and the area's only live-streaming newscast. Our team produces six daily newscasts M-F and four newscasts each weekend. Among many other awards, WDTV has won the WV Broadcasters award 2 years in a row for the best morning newscast. WDTV has had the privilege of helping train and launch the careers of many well-known national journalists, top-market meteorologists, and network and cable executives. The work family of WDTV is made up of a group of dedicated professional and passionate individuals who are the backbone of our daily mission. WDTV/WVFX is located in beautiful north central West Virginia, about 90 minutes south of Pittsburgh, and 30 minutes south of Morgantown. West Virginia in general is comprised of several small cities and very rural in nature making it a great small town family atmosphere
WDTV is looking for a News Director to lead our news team. We are looking for a dynamic news professional who excels with high expectations, passion, and dedication. The candidate will lead development of content for WDTV and a powerful group of social platforms. The qualified candidate should possess the skills to successfully lead and teach a diverse staff of journalists who seek to raise the bar of integrity and quality of the products. The News Director is a Department Head position, and reports directly to the General Manager.
The primary job duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Supervising and coordinating news staff and all efforts leading to quality, relevant content
- Make sure content is delivered to the region across multiple platforms with trusted accuracy and timeliness
- Set and disseminate standards and expectations for news and operations employees
- Work in conjunction with other department managers to accomplish overall station mission and goals
- Review daily newscasts for ensure quality control and well-balanced newscasts
- Oversee the planning for news coverage
- Prepare and control news budget for operating and capital expenditures
- Create and implement strategic plans for audience growth
- Build and maintain key relationships to foster a positive news image within the community
- Approve all newsroom and operations personnel decisions
- Responsible for building, training and empowering an effective newsroom management team and staff
- Responsible for effectively communicating departmental goals and plans, and ensures those plans are carried out by staff - Maintain a high level of confidentiality
- Protect and defend journalist integrity of the news product
- Effectively promote and execute collaborate efforts between other Gray properties
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned
Possess a deep understanding of news as it relates to the ever-changing digital landscape.
- A proven record of success in leadership, production and distribution of local news, and development of talent
- Strong leadership skills and excellent news judgment
- A successful track record utilizing multi-media digital assets maximizing how news is covered and distributed - A passion for production and storytelling, combined with an unwavering commitment to journalistic ethics and standards
- A community-minded spirit and vision to expand the stations' outreach through coverage of the events impactful to the greater region we serve
- Success in growing ratings within key demographics
- Ability to work with all digital specialists to ensure social media growth - Experience working with departmental budgets is a plus
- Ability to teach and lead by example while using the latest technology - Broadcast Journalism, Communications or related degree from an accredited four-year college or university, or equivalent experience
– Previous news management experience is a plus
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d8834m-18-204-2-146-42 in your application.
Gray Television supports local community interests by providing quality television broadcasting and exceptional service in each market we serve. Gray owns and/or operates television stations and leading digital properties in 93 television markets including the first or second highest rated television station in 85 markets. We are an unmatched broadcast pioneer that keeps getting bigger and better.