WDAM is the #1 station in the Hattiesburg-Laurel DMA. We are dominant on broadcast and digital and produce news on WDAM NBC and WDAM ABC. Hattiesburg-Laurel is market 167 and we reach viewers in eight counties (Covington, Forrest, Jasper, Jones, Lamar, Marion, Perry and Wayne). WDAM is less than two hours driving distance to New Orleans, Mobile and the Mississippi Gulf Coast. This is an excellent opportunity to work for a great station and company.
WDAM is looking for a Reporter/MMJ to join our award-winning team. The successful candidate can generate their own story ideas and has a strong desire for enterprise storytelling and covering live, breaking news. They must understand and incorporate social media material into their workflow while reporting.
Your responsibilities will include (but not be limited to) the following:
* Plan stories in advance for coverage that are relevant to the Pine Belt
* Pitch and cover enterprise stories
* Cover breaking news, general assignments and targeted special reports on social media, web and TV
* Build trust and respect in the Pine Belt
* Work under tight deadlines on a flexible schedule that includes weekends, holidays, shift coverage, breaking news and severe weather
* Operate live shots using Live U and Live U-Mobile
* Check beats daily
* Post stories/newscasts to WDAM.COM
* Excellent writing, storytelling, and editing skills
* Solid news judgment
* Must be able to report in a broad range of styles with good on-air presentation skills
* Work under pressure
* Familiarity with all distribution platforms including Facebook, Twitter, Internet etc.
* Bachelor's Degree in Broadcast Journalism or equivalent is required
* Pre-employment drug screening, valid Driver's License & Motor Vehicle Records check are required
As a condition of employment, Gray Television will require that newly hired employees, whether part-time or full-time, be fully vaccinated against the coronavirus by the first workday to the extent permitted by applicable law unless you qualify for a medical or religious accommodation.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gq8zzm-3-87-33-97-42 in your application.