WBRC FOX6 News, a Gray Television station, is a legacy media powerhouse located in Birmingham, Alabama. Founded in 1949, WBRC has been On Your Side delivering local news, First Alert Weather, sports, and entertainment for over 73 years. WBRC is the largest and most trusted news team in Alabama and produces more than 64 hours of local news every week. As a broadcast pioneer, WBRC serves as Alabama's most-watched television stations. WBRC is one of the strongest television stations in the country with dominant shows including our highly rated morning show, Good Day Alabama. The station also dominates the local market in its early and evening newscasts, consistently delivering #1 ratings across all broadcasts. The reach of WBRC doesn't stop with linear television.
WBRC Fox6 News seeks a full-time Meteorologist. The primary duties include crafting, producing, and presenting weather segments. He/she will also help prepare, produce, and post content for TV, the WBRC app, the WBRC weather show, social media, and more.
You'll drive the inclusion and prioritization of weather stories in the assigned program or day part, create graphics, and /or commission the creation and/or acquisition of supporting visual content.
Duties/Responsibilities include (but not limited to):
* Mine all available resources, including social media, for possible weather story ideas & content.
* Work closely with the team of meteorologists to ensure that our weather storytelling is well-organized, well-prepared, innovative, interesting, and cutting-edge.
* Coordinate with show producers to assure continuity in weather storytelling.
* Prepare content using multiple graphic platforms, including AR.
* Produce weather blocks that are well-organized, well prepared and target a television audience.
* Maintain proficiency with software changes.
* Knowledge of social media and its role in the information and content-gathering process.
* Strong ability to communicate orally and verbally. Ability to disseminate complex meteorological information in a useable and understandable manner.
* Ensure that WBRC Fox6 is first-to-publish all breaking weather information.
* Customer-focused, innovative, and self-motivated.
* Displays strong collaborative skills and works effectively through conflict.
* Effectively contributes to team goals within a highly interactive, and at times, stressful environment.
* Maintains high standards for product, performance, and ethics.
* Quickly learns and applies new technologies and leads others in new initiatives.
* Receives feedback constructively and incorporates that feedback into work products and performance.
* Exhibits creative problem-solving skills and unique resourcefulness to complete tasks.
* Support coverage of significant weather events, including working extra hours and days outside of normally scheduled shifts.
* Storm-chasing experience is a plus.
* Shooting and editing skills are a plus.
- Bachelor's degree in meteorology, atmospheric science, design, or a related field.
- 3 years of on-air meteorological experience.
- Experience forecasting and covering severe weather events is a must. This is not an entry-level position.
- Experience producing AR content is a plus.
- You must have scheduling flexibility and be willing to work outside of regular business hours.
Interested applicants can go to https://gray.tv/careers#currentopenings, you may type in the job title, station call letters, or click on ''apply now'', upload your cover letter, resume, and references.
(Current employees that are interested in this position can apply through the Gray-TV UltiPro self-service portal)
WBRC-TV/Gray Television, Inc. is a drug-free company.
Gray Television encourages all new employees to be fully vaccinated against the coronavirus virus prior to the first workday.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-g31q55-3-235-60-197-42 in your application.