- Full Time
- Mid (2-5 years) Experience
Job DescriptionAbout WMTV:
At WMTV, we work hard and take pride in getting it right. Our team was recently honored with back-to-back ''News Operation of the Year'' awards in 2020 and 2019 by the Wisconsin Broadcasters Association. This is a high-profile position that requires initiative, leadership and impact. You will contribute daily to elevating our newscasts and will be an ambassador-championing our community initiatives. You'll work hard and find balance outside of work. Madison is consistently named one of the best places to live in America. We are conveniently just 1.5 hours from Milwaukee, 2.5 hours from Chicago and 5 hours from Minneapolis/St. Paul.
WMTV - Madison, WI
The Executive Producer is willing to set new expectations, inspire excellence, and hold the team accountable. This person will report to and work closely with the News Director in shaping and ensuring the execution of our digital-first strategy, high impact story development and newscast sophistication. You must be an innovator, who can see the big picture. You are also a stickler for the details and producing error-free work. You will be a member of the news management team, working with other department managers on major station initiatives, including the NBC15 Share Your Holidays campaign benefiting Second Harvest Food Bank and the NBC15 Diaper Drive. You will also ensure our newsroom is adopting corporate resources and best practices, and that we are a leader within the company and our industry. You are committed to this vision of success.
Your responsibilities will include (but not be limited to) the following:
• The ideal candidate will have experience producing compelling newscasts in a competitive market and will possess excellent writing skills, solid news judgment and creativity using graphics and video.
• You will train, manage and provide regular feedback to our newscast and digital content producers, specifically, and to our MMJs and newsroom staff at large. You will coach and be a cheerleader inspiring the entire team to produce strong, engaging content.
• Ensure story selection, development and placement in newscast fits our both our brand and newsroom standards.
• Understand our DMA, key target audiences and where they live.
• Be the ''nightside voice'' and point person ensuring our daily and long-term projects, including special event and breaking news coverage, are multi-dimensional. You will act with urgency and be responsible for setting our coverage tone for the evening and for ensuring a strong handoff to the morning crew.
• Work with the Digital Director to create a daily digital plan and guide its execution. Identify opportunities for live streaming on our website and Facebook, getting live and user-generated content to our News Now Desk, and sending push alerts.
• Write and post copy daily on all digital platforms, including NBC15.com, as new information is learned.
• You will fill-in and produce newscasts, as needed, including when someone is out sick or on PTO.
• Work with a sense of immediacy-- independently and as a team. It is our culture.
• A college degree in journalism or related field, and at least two or more years of newsroom producing experience. At least one year in leadership or management position preferred.
• Must have a desire to win, the ability to reflect on your work and apply feedback.
• Understanding of and adherence to AP Style (on digital platforms) and broadcast writing for television.
• Excellent communication skills (written and verbal), proven news judgement, ethics and integrity.
• Must be able to work quickly and multi-task under deadline pressure and breaking news.
• Ability to work long hours, weekends, and overnights for breaking news and specialized coverage.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d5ko4e-44-192-253-106-42 in your application.
Gray Television supports local community interests by providing quality television broadcasting and exceptional service in each market we serve. Gray owns and/or operates television stations and leading digital properties in 93 television markets including the first or second highest rated television station in 85 markets. We are an unmatched broadcast pioneer that keeps getting bigger and better.