WAFF is Huntsville Alabama's #1 news station. We have a dominant digital presence in North Alabama and throughout the Tennessee Valley. Visit www.waff.com to learn more.
The WAFF Digital News Reporter develops news content for the station's digital platforms and social media accounts. The Digital News Reporter will appear on camera through our 48 Now OTT streaming desk while writing stories for the website and social pages. The goal of this position is to discover, create and distribute content within a multi-platform workflow. The hire will be responsible for identifying and seizing opportunities to go live on our website, station app and OTT devices. The reporter will produce, present and technical direct from the 48 Now Desk. If you can talk, write, love breaking news and are technically inclined to multi-task while talking in front of one of multiple cameras, this is a great role for you. Occasional holiday or weekend shifts will be required.
Responsibilities include, but not limited to:
- Must be a strong writer, deeply knowledgeable about all current events, and have quick and thoughtful news judgment. The reporter position will write for WAFF's website and social pages.
- Will appear on camera through our 48 Now streaming desk, pitching to breaking news, live-streaming events and other stories throughout the day. You will promote upcoming newscasts and drive urgent coverage.
- Will be one of the main faces of Streaming News on all WAFF Apps.
- Will adapt quickly to breaking news and explore all avenues and sources for content.
- Will assist with daily coverage, both online and on air.
- Experience with digital video creation and Streaming/OTT technologies is preferred.
- Must be a team player with a great attitude, possess a strong sense of ethics and integrity, and bring professionalism, personality, energy, confidence and team spirit to our multi-platform newsroom.
- Must be capable of creating content from sources beyond wires and feed (ex. social media, court records, reliable online publications) and be eager to present the day's news in an urgent and impactful manner.
- Must be comfortable contacting public officials, law enforcement officers, public information officers, and members of the community to gather and confirm information.
- Will strive to craft complete stories that include comprehensive copy, high-quality pictures and video using all available resources.
- Will establish and maintain daily communication with newscast producers, reporters, anchors and meteorologists in order to maximize opportunities to push to all available platforms.
- Must be able to monitor and respond to comments and messages on our social platforms in a timely matter.
- Will be expected to write and edit stories involving news, sports and weather content. A general understanding of these topics is required.
- Must be proficient with AP Style, news writing techniques, using social media accounts for an organization, photo and video editing software, and web publishing workflows.
- Will help the Digital Manager and Teammates to develop strategies to increase viewership across all platforms.
- College Degree in Journalism, Communications, English or a similarly related field
- 1 year digital content experience including writing and video
- Competence in reporting live, online and on air
- Reporting on digital platforms, often live via FaceTime or Skype
- Setting up guests and reporters
- Computer skills
- Experience in talk radio or podcasting is a plus
If you feel you're qualified and want to work with a great group of people go to https://gray.tv/careers#currentopening, you may type in the job title, station call letters, or click on ''apply now''
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rezqv7-3-236-55-22-42 in your application.